Skip to main content

Dresses from Vogue 8961


When I saw Vogue 8961, my first thought was, "Perfect for work- something simple, comfortable, and super quick to make."  I've been admiring winter white dresses, and found this winter white wool gabardine in my stash.  I usually think of gabardine as something only for jackets or pants, but it actually has a nice drape and is great for dresses!
I added in-seam pockets to this one, and since it was cream, I added a lining so that there would be no show through.  I did add some length- I can't remember how much, but probably 3 inches to fit my 5'9" frame.  I also skipped the sleeve options of ruching or open slits that are included in the pattern.

Here you can see the seam that runs from the shoulder to the bottom of the sleeve.  I believe that this is a modified kimono sleeve, but if anyone else knows for sure, please correct me.  I did have some problems with the shoulder seam riding back after wearing it for a few minutes, and I corrected the problem by removing about 1-1/2" of length from the front neckline on each side. 
  

It's a pretty nice dress, and I like that I can set the whole tone with a scarf of any color.  The weight of the gabardine with the lining is substantial enough to be quite warm.   I like having the elastic waist, so that I can get some waist definition when I stand, but comfort when I sit.

I made it a second time, and this dress is made out of a silk/cotton/lycra twill that is thick enough that I decided not to line it.  I did a high round back adjustment on this one, in addition to shortening the front neckline, hoping to prevent the shoulder seam riding back.  I'm not sure that the adjustment did anything.  I think that the neckline is a little large on this pattern.




I actually love the end results of both dresses, and I'm sure that I'll get a ton of wear from them. If you are interested in this pattern, I would recommend cutting the neckline a couple of sizes smaller than your typical size.  I think this is really quite a versatile pattern, as you could also make the shorter top version, and it should work with a variety of fabrics. 

I'll leave you with my cat, Maddie, who is always interested in what I'm sewing. 

Happy sewing!
Ann




Comments

  1. Comfy and stylish dresses, Ann! The scarves and boots pull the look together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm excited to see how it changes based on changing the accessories.

      Delete
  2. It looks very nice and comfy! Wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those do look comfy - love dresses that are both comfy and stylish. Especially like that blue one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. I figure if it isn't comfortable, I won't wear it, so that has to be a priority.

      Delete
  4. Great dresses! I especially like the blue one as well, but I really like how you styled the winter white version with a pretty scarf. P.S, I always like to see photos of kitties on blogs:) Maddie is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this...how long did it take to complete?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Jennifer. It is extremely simple, so I would say allow an afternoon- 2-3 hours, depending on your sewing speed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Grey Cashmere Coat Simplicity 3672

For the past few months, Fabric Mart has had the most gorgeous array of Michael Kors Wool Blend Coatings that I have ever seen!  During COVID stay at home time, I've been letting my gray grow out, and I thought that even though some of the delicious sounding shades like apricot and apple green would be beautiful, the heathered gray shade would be the most flattering to my gray hair and the most versatile for a winter coat.  And it was one of the coatings that listed Cashmere as one of the fiber components, so I was curious as to how that would feel.