Skip to main content

Burda Bell Coat 11/2013 #116


When I got my November Burda issue, and saw the cover photo, I said "I have that fabric!  I must make that coat!"  It didn't matter to me that it wasn't particularly attractive in the model, and that the model is a size 0 and I am NOT a size 0.

Sometimes you just see what you want to see.I had this gorgeous piece of light blue boiled wool in my stash for a few years, and its time had come.


The coat was extremely simple to make.  If you can pull off this style, there probably isn't an easier coat pattern out there.  I made it in one day- I kid you not.  However, then the problems began.  I realized that I had a styling problem with this coat, when I put it on, and felt that it looked like an old woman in a light blue bathrobe.  All I needed was curlers in my hair.  So, to remedy it, I decided to chop off 9 inches of the bottom of the coat.


 It now hits me at my mid-thigh.  Because it is a bulky fabric that doesn't ravel, I left the bottom unhemmed.  I don't think anyone will know but me, (and now you, of course).

Although it looked better, it still felt like it could go "old" unless I styled it with pretty modern items.  So, I went with simple black gloves, boots, and hat.





 I used silver magnetic snaps at the top, although they are hidden.  I love magnetic snaps- they almost fasten themselves when the magnets get close enough.

 But, alas- this coat isn't for a real winter.  And, I'm sorry to say, we have had a REAL WINTER this year!   The wind just whips right up those big wide sleeves, not to mention the fact that it is completely open below the snaps.

Practical, this coat is NOT.  Pretty it is.  Comfortable it is.  I think I will get more use out of it once it is a little warmer.






 And the lining is an aqua silk charmeuse- as luxurious as you can get.   I'm sure that this coat would cost a pretty penny had it been in a designer shop.

 Here's the back.  Me looking over our recent snow, wondering when the snow plow will ever come down our street.


 So, to summarize-
1.  Difficult style and color to wear without going "old".  Must style carefully!!!
2.  Not practical in a real winter, due to wide sleeves and no closures.
3.  Easy to sew.
4.  Comfortable to wear.
That's my two cents.  Occasionally, I wish that I would have waited for another pattern for this fabric, but it's growing on me.  I haven't worn it out in public yet, so I will have to see how I feel after I've ventured outside of my back yard in it for the final verdict. 

Happy Sewing!
Ann


Comments

  1. It's very pretty!
    Sorry about losing your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think it looks very pretty and stylish on you. But i see what you mean about the sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana! It will be a great coat for non-windy days.

      Delete
  3. I love your coat!! It was made...for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!! The pattern wasn't right, but you make it work perfectly. The fabric is gorgeous. The coat looks very pretty and stylish on you :-)

    Groetjes, Collie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I'm looking for the Burda issue. I will also be shortening it and choosing accessories very carefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane. It is a good issue- I think you'll like many other things in it as well.

      Delete
  6. don't we all look at the lovely young model in the pictures and forget we are somewhat older hmmmmm been there done it and got the tshirt. However I love the blue and it looks lovely on you and I think you have styled it perfectly. Hope the snow plough comes toon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes, the snow plow came, but someone still left the air conditioner on- it is -5 this morning.

      Delete
  7. Lovely! I wonder if you could do an inner sleeve with elastic to stop the wind coming up? I saw something like that in Threads once.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Vicki! I thought about that too. Maybe even detaching the lining from the sleeve, and making a casing at the lining bottom would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ann! Could you tell me whether you reinforced the sleeves with something like fusible tape? I'd love to make a coat like yours, but have never used boiled wool before! Any advice on working with boiled wool would be appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't, but I do think that would be a great idea! I think it was pretty easy to work with- just extra thick, so I used a longer stitch length when sewing. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Great! Thank you, Ann!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Grey Cashmere Coat Simplicity 3672

For the past few months, Fabric Mart has had the most gorgeous array of Michael Kors Wool Blend Coatings that I have ever seen!  During COVID stay at home time, I've been letting my gray grow out, and I thought that even though some of the delicious sounding shades like apricot and apple green would be beautiful, the heathered gray shade would be the most flattering to my gray hair and the most versatile for a winter coat.  And it was one of the coatings that listed Cashmere as one of the fiber components, so I was curious as to how that would feel.