Skip to main content

Rose Colored Glasses and More



So, 2019 was a bummer of a year for me.  I developed a heart condition called atrial fibrillation (or Afib for short) and spent the last half of the year in and out of the ER and doctor's offices trying to control it.  If you've never heard of it, it's when your heart rate suddenly goes 100 miles an hour.  It's very unpredictable, scary, uncomfortable and exhausting.  So, needless to say, I didn't get a ton of sewing done the last half of the year.  

Rubes® cartoon used with permission © Leigh Rubin

In August, I was put on a medication that had scary side effects, didn't work, and led to horrendous insomnia.  I felt like a walking zombie.   But after 3 months of that, in November, I had a procedure called a cardiac ablation which froze the heart cells that were causing the problem.  Thank God for modern technology- this procedure has only been available in the last 20 years. I'm 3 months post procedure now, and, knock on wood, it seems to have worked!   So, this month, I've started going back to the gym to work out, and in general, am getting close to feeling like my old self again.  

And to express that in my sewing, I'm going all out bright red, coral, and pink.  Shades that will remind me to appreciate my heart and beauty of the world.  The color palette above is what I am going for- an explosion of color, anchored by black basics.

Here's what I have planned so far:


This was a chiffon from a Fabric Mart Mystery Bundle, that I thought I would never, ever use!  Ahhh, you should never say never!  I'm making it into Butterick 6713.
And another one in the same style from this fabric:


 And two chiffon blouses from these fabrics:



Using this pattern, Butterick 6710:
What am I going to wear all of these tops with?  Well, put your sunglasses on, because I'll be walking around blinding people in a neon bright reddish coral suiting:



I've already made it up into the jacket from this pattern- Vogue 2957, and I've got the pants cut out :


 And I've got this black and creme plaid crepe:


Which I'm making into Butterick 6787:

 


I have a black polyester wool suiting, that I'm making into a pencil skirt and high waisted wide crop pants. 

I've also got a black laminated twill that I plan to make into a raincoat:


Using this Burda Magazine pattern- 3/2019 #101:


Here's a preview of the red jacket:


And that's just the start- much more to come!  I'm so thankful to be feeling well, sleeping well and sewing again.  I know that there so many problems that are facing the world, but I am going to enjoy and appreciate having a peaceful, normal beating heart.   So, here's to looking through rose colored glasses!

Happy Sewing!

Ann


Comments

  1. So glad you are feeling better and I'm anxious to see your new wardrobe. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about the nasty Afib but so glad you're doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU GO GIRL!!! Congratulations and best wishes for a wonderful spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great plans and glad to hear you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear that you are doing much better! I've missed seeing your posts (and a little bit of UoI territory!) Your sewing plan looks fun and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a nurse, I am very familiar with afib. I am sorry you had to experience this, but so very grateful for the procedure and team of people that helped you to heal. May you continue to stay well, and embrace all the color you want, lol! I always love seeing what you are creating! I LOVE the jacket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vanessa! I didn't know that you were a nurse- that's wonderful! Yes, the medical team really were great!

      Delete
  7. So happy you are feeling better. You have some exciting sewing plans. You will look so good in those colors and styles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ann I am so sorry you have been going through this as well! My husband has a-fib, we thought one cardioversion in July had fixed it but he just went out of rhythm on Valentine's day, so we are looking at scheduling ablation after they gave him another cardioversion.
    So I totally understand your need for something bright and cheery. I hope you get all your plans done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. I hope that your husband's ablation goes well!!! His cardioversion sure lasted a long time! I had one, but it lasted less than a week.

      Delete
  9. Oh Ann!! WOW! I am so happy that the ablation worked well for you and best wishes on continued health!

    I love your spring plans. There are some beautiful fabrics (is your proposed pant fabric the cady suiting??) and I am loving some of those prints!

    Can't wait to see it all come together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I made the pants in the cady also. Looking forward to seeing what you make from yours!

      Delete
  10. Oh you poor thing! Glad to hear you are on the mend and can get back to sewing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Style Arc Dotty Blouse and Burda 6879 Skinny Pants

Listen children.  It's time for a sewing story.  Sit by the fire with me, and I'll tell you the story of how three flat, lifeless pieces of fabric became my new favorite winter outfit. With a little help from the elves at FabricMart, Burda, and Style Arc, I whipped up this outfit just in time for the holidays. Chapter 1.  The Dotty Blouse Silk charmeuse.  Aahhhh.  Just the thought of it brings me bliss.  Is there anything so light as a feather, shimmery as a star, fluid as a mountain stream?  All wrapped up in one glorious fabric.  Sometimes I look at the prices of clothes in the stores, and wonder "Why am I sewing? ".  But one touch of silk charmeuse and I remember. This is the stuff that you can't buy a top made from for less than $200, but you can make it for $50 or less. When I saw this stylized animal print silk charmeuse at FabricMart, I grabbed up 3 yards of it right away.  One of silk charmeuse's best qualities is it's drapa