Skip to main content

Four Talvikki Sweaters


Happy 2020 everyone!  This is my first post of the year, and I'm looking forward to a great sewing year.  I've got all kinds of plans!  I had been thinking about making some new turtleneck sweaters, when I saw the Talvikki Sweater pattern from the Finnish pattern company- Named.  It had some really interesting shaping darts at the neckline, and I liked how boxy it was.   So, I decided that it would be a fun take on a turtleneck and gave it a try- actually four tries!  This is a version that I made for my daughter from vintage velour.  I've actually been holding on to this piece of fabric since the 70's!!!!  Doesn't it look great on her?



I shortened the sleeves so that they wouldn't need to be rolled up, but otherwise, made the pattern exactly as designed by Named patterns.  Here's their version and line drawing.




This first sweater I made was made from a metallic black ponte knit.  It had more of a foil look to it when I bought it, but when I preshrunk the fabric, a lot of the sparkles washed away.  That actually was fine by me- I like the more subtle glitter effect.  My husband called it my "disco top"!  Here you can see the darted neckline up-close.


 In the side view, you can see that the back is considerably longer than the front.  I did find that the vent went up a little too high for me, so I lowered it about 1-1/2".  I also didn't want to roll up the sleeves, so I just shortened my sleeve about 1-1/2".


I think that the neckline of this top is a natural complement to a coat or jacket, so I'll show you some of my combinations that I found in my wardrobe.  I made this light blue bell shaped coat from a gorgeous boiled wool about 5 years ago.  The pattern was Burda Style magazine 11/2013, #116.   I originally didn't like it- thought it looked to "old lady", but I actually really love it now!  Sometimes you just have to let things grow on you.   



For this next Talvikki, I used a very firm sweatshirt fleece.  I was a little worried that it would be hard to get over my neck with so little stretch, but it was totally fine. I made the 44/46 size, so your mileage may vary if you make a smaller size.






I like how it works with my "caponcho", a cross between a cape and poncho that I made 2 years ago with Vogue 8344. The unusual color combination has actually been challenging finding something to wear with it, but I think that the heathered grey is working here.


In case you are wondering, this is what the darts look like from the inside of the top.  I used a tracing wheel and tracing paper to mark mine.  The darts are definitely a little tricky to make, but overall, this is a very quick project- I timed myself on the last one, and I finished it in about one hour (excluding cutting time!)


On this light blue ponte knit version, you can see the back also has some neckline dart shaping- they are just shorter darts.


This coat was made 3 years ago using an Isaac Mizrahi stadium coat design in Vogue 1479.   Working with a plaid design is always challenging.  But, I really love making coats that aren't run of the mill, and often make at least 1 a year- sometimes more.  This does however, mean that I have coats all over my house in all of the closets, because I never get rid of any of them! 


So, there you go- I made the Talvikki in a velour, a sweatshirt fleece, and two ponte knits, and I think that they all worked well!   I'm really drawn to the aesthetic of Named patterns, and have purchased quite a few more, so you'll probably be seeing some more versions of their patterns here pretty soon!

Happy Sewing!

Ann

Comments

  1. How fun!! I especially love the light blue version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all versions! Thanks for showing how you styled them with other coats in your wardrobe. Great job with all versions! Your daughter is very pretty, like her mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you realize there is a 12 word sentence you can say to your man... that will trigger intense feelings of love and impulsive attractiveness for you deep within his heart?

    Because deep inside these 12 words is a "secret signal" that triggers a man's instinct to love, adore and care for you with his entire heart...

    12 Words That Fuel A Man's Love Instinct

    This instinct is so built-in to a man's genetics that it will make him try better than before to to be the best lover he can be.

    In fact, triggering this all-powerful instinct is so essential to getting the best possible relationship with your man that the moment you send your man one of the "Secret Signals"...

    ...You will instantly find him open his mind and heart to you in a way he's never expressed before and he'll perceive you as the one and only woman in the galaxy who has ever truly interested him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, Ann, and I'm so sorry for your loss. I've just discovered your blog whilst researching this piece. Thank you both for the fine photos, especially the wrong-side dart view. I look forward to following your posts when you're again ready to share them. Kindest regards, Meg

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Style Arc Dotty Blouse and Burda 6879 Skinny Pants

Listen children.  It's time for a sewing story.  Sit by the fire with me, and I'll tell you the story of how three flat, lifeless pieces of fabric became my new favorite winter outfit. With a little help from the elves at FabricMart, Burda, and Style Arc, I whipped up this outfit just in time for the holidays. Chapter 1.  The Dotty Blouse Silk charmeuse.  Aahhhh.  Just the thought of it brings me bliss.  Is there anything so light as a feather, shimmery as a star, fluid as a mountain stream?  All wrapped up in one glorious fabric.  Sometimes I look at the prices of clothes in the stores, and wonder "Why am I sewing? ".  But one touch of silk charmeuse and I remember. This is the stuff that you can't buy a top made from for less than $200, but you can make it for $50 or less. When I saw this stylized animal print silk charmeuse at FabricMart, I grabbed up 3 yards of it right away.  One of silk charmeuse's best qualities is it's drapa