Skip to main content

Marci Tilton Jacket Vogue 8693


I was on such a roll the first 2 weeks of January, thanks to the Fabric Stash Contest, making 4 items, that I decided to tackle my most challenging project in the third week, while I still had plenty of time.  It's a good thing I did.  It took me a while to make this one, and I'm not sure I'd have the energy had I saved it for last!


Instead of the Butterick coat that I had planned, I made a last minute switch for Vogue 8693.   It's a Marci Tilton design, and this is the first one of her designs that I've made.  Lot's of people rave about her patterns- lots of neat angles, loose fitting and comfortable.
So, this jacket looks pretty simple on the face of it. But it is definitely an unusual design, and I had to concentrate on this one. My boucle fabric that wanted to ravel itself silly added to my challenge.
Lining with the points cut out.

The original jacket pattern only has you do a partial lining.  My fabric was a little on the thin side, and with Illinois weather, I decided it would be better to line the whole thing.  After it was done, I could catch glimpses of the lining in those points in the front.  So, I basically cut out a 8 inch triangle of the lining just in that area, and straight hemmed it across.  


 The collar is just awesome.  It is really nice and full and high.  You can see it here from the back.  I wouldn't need a scarf with this jacket. 
Single Welt pocket
Button detail

The single welt pockets were tricky and I'm sure that I didn't get them exactly right, but they are functional.   I used a girls' pony tail elastic to make a loop for an extra large button. 

I did add 1-1/2" to the length, and added a little extra width at the side, which I wouldn't have needed.  It's a loose fitting pattern, and even with a DD bust, I don't think I would have needed any extra room.  I also made a full bicep adjustment to be on the safe side.  I hate tight sleeves in jackets.

I like it!  The one problem that I've already encountered is that I can't wear it with prints.  I tried to walk out the door today with this jacket and a polka dot dress. I just happened to glance in the mirror, and realized it looked ridiculous.  But if I wear it with solids, I think it will work.  What do you think?

-Ann

Comments

  1. I've looked at that pattern but just wasn't sure about it. If they put your version on the evelope it would have convinced me to buy it. Really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lOVE that. The pink gloves really set it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful and classy! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fabulous on you! I made this jacket a year ago and it was a disaster on me, but I have friends who made it and, like you, it looks fabulous on them. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it - I have this pattern, and want to make it, but I quite like the cream. While you're jacket may not go with patterned fabrics, it will look great with red, black and of course the grey you have on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another "I love it"! Yes...with any solid color it would be fine and it looks very good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks wonderful! Love the pink gloves with it. I have this pattern, now I need to dig it out after seeing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I like this jacket and love it with the pink gloves. I think you are right. It will probably go best with solids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great jacket! And the lining makes it look even more fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect choice of fabric ... love the splash of pink!!! Yes, I think I would go with the plains for this. You will just have to whip up another to wear with your prints...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE your jacket! And the checkered print accentuates the points so beautifully! I like yours WAY better than the ones on the envelope!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the high neck on this jacket and will consider making it. Love the graphic pattern and the pop of pink is genius. I grew up in Illinois but now I have to prepare for a Canadian Rocky Mountain winter!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Grey Cashmere Coat Simplicity 3672

For the past few months, Fabric Mart has had the most gorgeous array of Michael Kors Wool Blend Coatings that I have ever seen!  During COVID stay at home time, I've been letting my gray grow out, and I thought that even though some of the delicious sounding shades like apricot and apple green would be beautiful, the heathered gray shade would be the most flattering to my gray hair and the most versatile for a winter coat.  And it was one of the coatings that listed Cashmere as one of the fiber components, so I was curious as to how that would feel.