Skip to main content

An Easy-to-Sew Layered Look

My easy to sew layered look- infinity scarf, shell and cardigan.
I love silk charmeuse and silk chiffon! But sewing them can be a real pain.  So, in a compromise, I decided to sew the simplest things possible with them.  Forget about set in sleeves, collars, etc, and go for a pullover top or an infinity scarf.  Leave the tough stuff for fabrics that are better behaved.
Top from McCalls 6519
I've had this crazy animal print silk charmeuse for a couple of years.  Since I bought it, I've often wondered why.  It's garish, it's loud and not "me".  Yet, for some reason, I love it.  Now with animal prints being in fashion, what better time to sew it up!

I chose McCalls 6519- a really basic shell.  I would normally have to do a full bust adjustment, but I had enough fabric to cut it on the bias, which gives it enough stretch that I could get by without one. I did add some length to the body, and used a self-fabric bias binding instead of the recommended bias tape.  I love how this simple top fits and will definitely be making it again.

While perusing my stash, I noticed that I had a 1-1/2 yard cut of ombre silk chiffon that had the same colors in it.  Hmmm...  How about an infinity scarf?   I just sewed the long edges together into a tube, twisted once, and then sewed the short edges together.  Voila!  A designer scarf in 30 minutes.  I have to say- silk chiffon is warm when you have 1-1/2 yards wrapped around your neck!  This is not just a pretty scarf, it's really practical as well.


Cardigan from Simplicity 1945
Unbelievably, I did not have a sweater or cardigan that looked good with this combination, so back to the stash I went, and found this caramel colored boucle knit.  I love a waterfall cardigan, and decided that the cardigan from Simplicty 1945 would round out this look. 

Most of this I got on the cheap- 2 yards of the boucle knit at $2/yard from fabric.com, the ombre chiffon was in a free mystery bundle,  2 yards @$9/yard for the charmeuse, so a total of $22 for fabric, and probably $4 for the patterns.  So, $26 plus a few hours of my time is the cost for this look.  And I can wear all three pieces with lots of other pieces as well!

This is one of those days that I'm glad that I have an extensive fabric stash.  But I'm also glad to be sewing it up! I want my stash to be functional- just big enough to find what I need, but not so big that I let fabrics go out of style before I can sew them up.

How about you?  Do you have a stash, and if yes, is it a source of inspiration or frustration? 

-Ann

Comments

  1. Very nice! Love all the pieces and they really work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this top...and the jacket...and the scarf. What a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, love the colours, especially the scarf!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that is just amazing. Imagine all that going together from your stash. I love your plan for dealing with charmeuse. And with that print, simple is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. everything looks wonderful together - how satisfying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great combination . I love all three pieces individually but they look great combined. That McCalls pattern looks like a great pattern too .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love love this! the cardigan with the silk blouse and the scarf, I want it all! I love your style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fabulous - what an eye you have - that combo is perfect - Bet you get tons of compliments - Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice look. Especially love the cardigan. The shell print might have given me pause, but it looks great on the bias. Good call!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, this is so well put together- I wish my stash held such good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't you just love easy to sew projects like this, especially when they all look so great when you are finished? Very satisfying. I love the way the shell looks, both the print and the fit. I am finding that I like to get at fabrics in my stash sooner rather than later, otherwise I may grow tired of them, even before they become a garment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for reviewing the shell. I am just floored by these three pieces you put together. This is my goal, to be able to use fabric in the way it calls to be used and to have a wardrobe of mixable pieces. I love this look on you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello where did you buy that ombre fabric i really want one

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Grey Cashmere Coat Simplicity 3672

For the past few months, Fabric Mart has had the most gorgeous array of Michael Kors Wool Blend Coatings that I have ever seen!  During COVID stay at home time, I've been letting my gray grow out, and I thought that even though some of the delicious sounding shades like apricot and apple green would be beautiful, the heathered gray shade would be the most flattering to my gray hair and the most versatile for a winter coat.  And it was one of the coatings that listed Cashmere as one of the fiber components, so I was curious as to how that would feel.