Skip to main content

Cool Blue and White Work Wardrobe

I am off work during the summer, so this is the perfect time for me to sew what I want to wear to work once school resumes.  I am being optimistic that we will eventually be able to work in a building with other people.  I realize that I am kind of putting the cart ahead of the donkey by making these items when I really am unsure when I will be able to wear them in a work setting.  But, I think the styles and colors will be just as good in 2021 or even 2022, if that's how things turn out.  I just have to make sure that I stay the same size- which is good incentive for me to not snack all day long!  Exercising has not been working out for me- I tore a quad muscle doing yoga at home, and once that healed, I hurt my back gardening.  So, I just decided it was safer to stay inside and sew!  So far, no sewing injuries this summer!  Sewing is my sport of choice and this month was my decathlon.




I was so pleased with the fit from my first two items from the Burda Plus Spring and Summer issue, that I made a goal for myself to sew every design in the issue.  Here's the line drawings from this issue.  You can see that a lot of the items are very basic, so it really is a fantastic issue to make a core wardrobe from.


I ordered this basic white ponte knit from Fabric Mart and I had about 3 yards to work with.   First, I made skirt style #412 - a basic pencil skirt.  The ponte was an absolute dream to work with!  I lined it with a white athletic knit to give it a little more body.  The skirt has a back hem vent, waistband with zipper and button and darts.  It looks just like a pencil skirt, but is way more comfortable because of the ponte.





The top is style 402 using a crepe de chine.    It doesn't have a collar band or sleeve cuffs, compared to a traditional button front shirt, so it is really a quick sew.  It just has four pattern pieces- front, back, sleeve and collar. 

 
I also used the white ponte to make for these jeans, style #414 from the magazine.  I'm not much of a jeans wearer because I don't have the figure type for the jeans to stay up.  But, I've seen something in ready to wear lately, that I decided to copy- 


And that is to put a length of elastic under the waistband, just in the back.  I used what they call a "woven" elastic that doesn't have much stretch.  I bought it at a Tuesday Morning store in their sewing finds section, and when I got home, I was so disappointed because it was so non-stretchy.  I thought "This is the worst elastic ever!".  But now, I see it's usefulness- it really has helped to keep the waistband in the right spot when I'm wearing these pants.  I will look for it again whenever I run out of it.


 Here are the jeans with another top that I made back in 2017.  It was made out of a polyester crepe de chine and is one of my favorites.  More details on it are here.




The zippered jacket is from style 417 and was made from a cobalt blue crinkle double weave suiting.  It has a lot of stretch, and is perfect for this snug style. The color is amazing- very vibrant.  One thing that I discovered when working with this fabric was that I really needed to stabilize the front jacket edges with strips of interfacing, because it would stretch out under the weight of the presser foot.  Other than that, the fabric was easy to work with.



I lined it with a stretch pongee lining in navy.  I always stock up when I see stretch lining in basic colors, because it is a little hard to find.


Here is the jacket with a skirt from the polyester chiffon print.  This is a variation of the style #410 skirt in the magazine, as I didn't want to do all of the elastic shirring in that version.  Instead, I found a remnant of an aqua activewear knit, and made a yoga waistband from it.   This is such a cheater skirt- no zippers, buttons, or facings.   So, if you are ever thinking- "What can I make from chiffon that is easy?", then this is your answer!


This is very simple to do- just cut the waistband whatever length that you need for it to be snug around your waist and whatever width you like- I made mine 12 inches wide by 34 inches long, with the most stretch going in the length direction.  Sew the short sides right sides together, forming a loop.  Fold that loop in half, wrong sides together.  This is now your waistband.  Gather the top of any gathered skirt pattern to a length that is a few inches longer than your hip measurement.  You need it to be wide enough to pull over your hips.   Stretch the yoga waistband to fit the skirt top and pin together.  Sew together, and voila, you have a skirt!


You could just leave it as an a-line skirt, but decided that I wanted some frills.  I cut three layers of ruffles on the bias.  I didn't have quite enough fabric to make it as long as I wanted, so I supplemented with a layer of solid turquoise, which I also used to line the body of the skirt.  Technically, I wouldn't have needed to hem them as they shouldn't unravel on the bias, but I decided to use the narrow hem option on my serger to give the edges a little more definition.


Have you seen Fabric Mart's "Mystery of the Day" fabric?  Well, I couldn't resist a mystery, and this is what I got- a stretch sateen in a blue floral print! Isn't it gorgeous!  I'm afraid I am hooked now on the "Mystery of the Day" fabric.  So, this is the same skirt pattern, in a longer length made up in the floral stretch sateen.  I also had enough sateen to make the jeans in the shorter length (style #415) too! 

I really had a blast sewing all of these items.  I printed out the style photos, put them in 6 x 9 plastic zip bags with the traced pattern pieces, and swatches of the fabrics that I used, just to jog my memory of what I made.  I plan on using these basics again, and this will save me time to not have to retrace everything.


I hope that you are doing well and keeping cool during the heat wave we are having. 

Happy Sewing!

Ann

Comments

  1. You have made some beautiful clothing during the summer! Love the colors and they fit and flatter you . I hope that you will be able to show them off at work or at least in your local area soon !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this set of clothing is among my list of favorites to date! I wish the styles in my region would allow for printed and colored pants. Where I live it's solid blue or black and nothing else and I love variety so I find it so limiting and boring.
    I also put swatches with fabrics used and notes with my patterns. It makes it so much easier to have some really great tried-and-true patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! I think most people around here also wear solid blue or black pants, too, so I understand your frustration! I think most people are limited by what is available in their stores and don't have much choice. But when you sew, your options are so much wider, so I tend to wear what I like, regardless.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love everything! I think I need your help for my own work wardrobe, lol! I will definitely use some of your tips to create a few pieces for Fall (I am cautiously optimistic as well). And I will give the mystery knit a try sometime because that sateen is just gorgeous! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you will have so much fun planning Vanessa! We just got word of the school board's decision- we are not going to have in person instruction, at least not initially. Oh well, better to be safe!

      Delete
  4. Dear Ann, I am so sad to hear about the recent loss of your husband. My prayers are with you and your daughters as you navigate your journey without your best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing Blue and White Work Wardrobe. if you find best
    leather pants outfit? stockloot online store is here for your choice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Style Arc Dotty Blouse and Burda 6879 Skinny Pants

Listen children.  It's time for a sewing story.  Sit by the fire with me, and I'll tell you the story of how three flat, lifeless pieces of fabric became my new favorite winter outfit. With a little help from the elves at FabricMart, Burda, and Style Arc, I whipped up this outfit just in time for the holidays. Chapter 1.  The Dotty Blouse Silk charmeuse.  Aahhhh.  Just the thought of it brings me bliss.  Is there anything so light as a feather, shimmery as a star, fluid as a mountain stream?  All wrapped up in one glorious fabric.  Sometimes I look at the prices of clothes in the stores, and wonder "Why am I sewing? ".  But one touch of silk charmeuse and I remember. This is the stuff that you can't buy a top made from for less than $200, but you can make it for $50 or less. When I saw this stylized animal print silk charmeuse at FabricMart, I grabbed up 3 yards of it right away.  One of silk charmeuse's best qualities is it's drapa