Skip to main content

Spring/Summer Burda Plus T-shirt and Blouson Dress

Burda Plus isn't being produced in English anymore (I don't think- please correct me if I'm wrong), but I really love having all of the plus size patterns in one issue, so I ordered the French version from Burdastyle.fr.   It took a month to get here, and I am thrilled with it!  The dresses above are style #407- a Blouson Dress for knits. 


I, like many, don't fit into a standard single size pattern, and with the Big 4 patterns, I have so many adjustments to do, that sometimes it's just too much trouble- especially if it's a simple design.  Typically, I have a full bust adjustment, rounded back adjustment, narrow shoulder adjustment, narrow chest adjustment, and length adjustments.  You would think that I was a terribly oddly shaped human being based on all of the adjustments I have to make to get a pattern to fit!   However, I can usually wear the Burda plus 44 without hardly any adjustments- maybe just narrowing the shoulders a bit and adding a little length.  That is a breath of fresh air!



This is the knit shirt pattern #406.  It looks like a pretty standard shirt right?  Until you look at the shoulder, and see it's got a little pleat there.  These are the kind of details that just make me giddy with delight.  Amazingly, the French version has illustrations for construction for all views, so they had a nice little illustration set that explained how to do this cute little pleat.  I've never seen complete illustrated instructions for every view in a magazine issue, except for the Burda Easy, so I wonder if this is new for Burda Plus, of if they've always been there in the German and French issues.  Let me know if you've bought one of the German or French versions prior to this one.  The instructions are in French, and I do speak a little French, but mostly I relied on the illustrations.  


This top is from a rayon knit, and I also made another from an ITY knit.



I really like the pleat in the stripe.  Super cool look!  This is my current favorite t-shirt.  I am certain I will make more!


The blouson dress (#408) has a draped neckline, and is finished with elastic around the waistband, so you can skip the belt if you want.  The instruction guide suggested that you needed 3-3/8 yards for this, which must have been a typo.  I had 1-5/8 yards of this ITY knit and I was able to fit the pieces on it.   This pattern starts at a 46, so to make it a 44, I just traced inside the 46 line with the same distance that was between the 46 and 48.


This version is from a silk jersey with a border print.  I made it a tad longer than my first version of the dress.  I'm 5 feet 9 for reference, and only added an inch or so.  The direction of the stretch was with the stripes going vertically, but I didn't want to have that for the full dress, so I cut the bodice with the stripes going horizontally.  This jersey was super lightweight and little sheer, so I lined the skirt part with an athletic knit.  I have read that Sandra Betzina recommends this type of knit for slips, and this is my first time trying it.  Apparently it's more breathable.  Here is it from the inside:


For the elastic casing, I trimmed the jersey layers to reduce bulk, and stitched the lining layer down to form the casing.  The skirt lining was additional- the pattern didn't call for any lining, and if your knit isn't sheer, you shouldn't need one.  I just felt more comfortable adding it to this version because of the sheerness.



Here are the rest of the items in this issue.  I am making myself a new challenge- I want to make every style in this issue.  So, you heard it here first!  It may take me a while, but I have 406 and 407 checked off.  Next, I think I'll try one of the pants.

Oh, and an update on the Caftan that I had made a couple of weeks ago.  A friend had asked me to make one for her daughter-in-law.  She picked out a cotton batik with a turtle print.  I wasn't sure how the heavier fabric would work, but it turned out fine.  I added pockets because I thought a young Mom would need a place to put her phone and keys.
Here it is on me:


 I had enough fabric to make one for her two year old granddaughter too:


And even some matching face masks, just for good measure!


Take care,

Ann

Comments

  1. I know exactly what you mean about having to make multiple fit adjustments. I abandoned the Willis shirt because of that reason! I didn't know you had to make that many adjustments for the Big 4 patterns, so I can see why you love the Burda Plus patterns.

    Everything you made looks wonderful! I love little details too, and that pleat is awesome. I also love that you are making all of the views! I am sure the results will be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a fitting class once, when I was young and much more standard size, and found out it took FOURTEEN adjustments to get a Vogue pattern to fit me. Luckily I had time to do a Burda block, and there I needed one. Went home and did a big cleanup..
    The French plus size Burdas didn't use to get directions for every style, although it's been 5 years since I scored one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing thanks for sharing this blog i become fan of your blogs now. This blog is so interesting and informative.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Style Arc Dotty Blouse and Burda 6879 Skinny Pants

Listen children.  It's time for a sewing story.  Sit by the fire with me, and I'll tell you the story of how three flat, lifeless pieces of fabric became my new favorite winter outfit. With a little help from the elves at FabricMart, Burda, and Style Arc, I whipped up this outfit just in time for the holidays. Chapter 1.  The Dotty Blouse Silk charmeuse.  Aahhhh.  Just the thought of it brings me bliss.  Is there anything so light as a feather, shimmery as a star, fluid as a mountain stream?  All wrapped up in one glorious fabric.  Sometimes I look at the prices of clothes in the stores, and wonder "Why am I sewing? ".  But one touch of silk charmeuse and I remember. This is the stuff that you can't buy a top made from for less than $200, but you can make it for $50 or less. When I saw this stylized animal print silk charmeuse at FabricMart, I grabbed up 3 yards of it right away.  One of silk charmeuse's best qualities is it's drapa