Skip to main content

Lantern Sleeve Coat using Burda 03-2019-101


When Hancock fabrics was closing a few years ago, I bought this black coated denim fabric.  I always had a raincoat in mind to make with it, but since I have a couple of other trench coats, I didn't want a trench coat style pattern.  I saw this coat pattern in the March 2019 issue of Burda magazine, and could envision the lantern sleeves done in the coated denim, so it was a match!  I also really liked the pocket style which is an integrated welt into a princess seam. 



Working with this fabric was harder than I expected- it was just really stiff and uncooperative.  Especially when it came to trying to gather the sleeve flounce and the sleeve head.  I did the standard running two rows of basting stitching, but the threads broke before I could get it even halfway gathered.  I had read about using dental floss in the middle of a row of zigzag stitching as an option for hard to gather fabrics, and gave that a try.  Here's the before:


And after pulling the dental floss, it looks like this:

I wouldn't say that it was ideal- the dental floss that I had was very slippery, and the gathers kept coming undone, so maybe an old style dental floss that isn't coated would be better.  But, it got the job done!


Here's the back view, showing the center back seam and upper yoke.  It is fully lined as well.  As far as the pattern sizing goes, I made a size 42 at the neck and shoulders, and a 44 everywhere else.  I did a full bust adjustment, but don't think I needed to, as I ended up taking out some of the fullness.  I think Burda drafts coats with more ease than the US companies usually do.  Mine isn't as long on me, as the model's is on her.  I wish that I had added a couple of inches to the bottom. 


The buttons are huge- 1-3/8"- actually a little bit bigger than my machine will make buttonholes for, so it's a tight fit. They are Milly buttons that Fabric Mart is carrying now.  


I tried it with shoulder pads, but the fabric kind of holds itself up, so I took them out.  I thought about adding a hood, but decided against it.  I'll just have to remember my umbrella!  I really like the style, and will probably make it again, if nothing else, to make it worth the time spent tracing and altering the pattern!

I also made a new tablecloth to spruce up my dining room.  This was a Amy Butler design in a twill weave.  I had other plans for it originally, but I will get a lot of enjoyment out of it seeing on the table everyday!



Stay healthy and happy sewing!

Ann




Comments

  1. You made a nice coat! I have never heard of using dental dloss for gathering and will file that away in my mind. Such a great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking coat. And good idea to get that fun Amy Butler fabric out to bring some cheer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. recycled clothing ideas

    Vintage ONE of One Nike Clothing For People Who Want To Reduce Their Carbon Footprint. Also, It Will Go With Your AF1S. Every Piece is Unique and Reworked

    to get more - https://www.theboroboro.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Grey Cashmere Coat Simplicity 3672

For the past few months, Fabric Mart has had the most gorgeous array of Michael Kors Wool Blend Coatings that I have ever seen!  During COVID stay at home time, I've been letting my gray grow out, and I thought that even though some of the delicious sounding shades like apricot and apple green would be beautiful, the heathered gray shade would be the most flattering to my gray hair and the most versatile for a winter coat.  And it was one of the coatings that listed Cashmere as one of the fiber components, so I was curious as to how that would feel.