Skip to main content

Daffodilly Cardigan with Simplicity 8141


I've gone my whole life thinking that yellow was a color that I couldn't wear.  If you look through my decade of sewing blog history, you won't see me wearing yellow.  For some reason, now, I decided, I don't care anymore- I love yellow and I'm going to wear it! This cardigan and top were made using Simplicity 8141 for the cardigan and Vogue 1049 for the tank.  The cover doesn't show the shorter version of the cardigan, but that is the view that I made- View D.   The front is one piece that starts out with one shoulder on the bottom of the piece and one shoulder on the top, you narrow hem both sides, and then flip the shoulder seam up, creating this beautiful drape.


I used a very sheer rayon knit from Fabric Mart.  The tank is two layers of the fabric, and the cardigan one layer.  This project was a fabric hog- I had 3-1/2 yards of fabric, and used it all for these two pieces.  For some reason, I don't think that 8141 was ever done in regular Misses sizing, only plus.  I'm right on the border, so I can use either size range.  If you can find a copy, there really isn't much fitting involved other than the back neck and the sleeve width, so I wouldn't hesitate to get it, even if you are not a plus size.  I would definitely make it again.



This is a clever tank top pattern- you can actually make the tank completely reversible if you want to.  I think I'll just use it as a lined tank, which is really quite useful, as so many knits are on the thin side.



I really love the combination, and they go from casual to dressy very well too.  Here they are with the Named "Ninni" Culottes.


And here they are with  a wide leg pant, using McCalls 7415- No Side Seam pants pattern.

I've also been sewing face masks for friends and family, like so many people are.  I've been using the Instructables pattern DIY Cloth Face Mask.  Here are some of mine:

I hope that you are staying home and avoiding the virus.  It's been about 1 month since we started sheltering in place here.  I am so glad that I have a stash of fabrics and patterns to keep me occupied during this time, and to be able to make some useful contribution to the cause.  I wonder if we will see a resurgence in sewing, as people dust off their sewing machines to make masks, and remember just how satisfying it can be.


Have a wonderful holiday weekend, even if at home!  Wear yellow if you feel like it- I know I will be!

Happy Sewing!

Ann


Comments

  1. Fantastic looking top on you. Easily dressed up or down. It's very flattering on you and the yellow looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely happy colour on you and the pattern flows so well. You have given us some good styling inspirations too. I love seeing your daffodils as we head into winter here, plus as of today our 'lockdown' has been extended until 11th May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A winter lockdown sounds a lot harder. I hope yours is over by May 11th. I think that ours will be extended also, but it will be gardening season here, and I have my seeds sprouting inside, so I'm set.

      Delete
  3. Hi,

    I too am in WNC. Nice to meet you. Where are you getting your filter material? I would love to get to gather with a sewing group once all this is over.

    The yellow top is so Spring. Thanks for sharing.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Sharon,
      I didn't use filters- mine are just for family and friends, not medical workers. I'm not sure what you mean by WNC?

      Delete
  4. Would you please tell me how you hemmed your sweater? I have a knit that I made a sweater out of that has remained unhemed because I don't know how to hem it. I tried to use a hemming foot but it just balled up. Any help would be, well, helpful. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just folded over 1/4" twice and narrow hemmed it. But I know that some machines need a walking foot to reduce the pressure to be able to do it that way. If you have a walking foot, I would try that.

      Delete
  5. I love this top on you, and am so glad you decided to wear yellow! I do think it can be a hard color to pull off, but you look wonderful! I really like the top styled with the wide legged pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vanessa. I agree- certain shades of yellow are still probably not going to work for me, but I really like this one.

      Delete
  6. Ann, this is a gorgeous tunic on you! This is the perfect yellow color for you. Very unique and suits you well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look great in yellow! The tank and cardi are surprisingly versatile. Love all the different outfits you created with them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Style Arc Dotty Blouse and Burda 6879 Skinny Pants

Listen children.  It's time for a sewing story.  Sit by the fire with me, and I'll tell you the story of how three flat, lifeless pieces of fabric became my new favorite winter outfit. With a little help from the elves at FabricMart, Burda, and Style Arc, I whipped up this outfit just in time for the holidays. Chapter 1.  The Dotty Blouse Silk charmeuse.  Aahhhh.  Just the thought of it brings me bliss.  Is there anything so light as a feather, shimmery as a star, fluid as a mountain stream?  All wrapped up in one glorious fabric.  Sometimes I look at the prices of clothes in the stores, and wonder "Why am I sewing? ".  But one touch of silk charmeuse and I remember. This is the stuff that you can't buy a top made from for less than $200, but you can make it for $50 or less. When I saw this stylized animal print silk charmeuse at FabricMart, I grabbed up 3 yards of it right away.  One of silk charmeuse's best qualities is it's drapa