Skip to main content

Spring Wardrobe Sewing with Ottobre Woman 2/2015

Have you started sewing for warmer weather yet?  I've been really enjoying sewing with the new Ottobre Woman issue.   There are twenty designs, and I've made up six of them so far, and I've only had it two weeks!  That probably sounds like a lot, but believe me- these are extremely simple designs!  Most of them have just two or three pieces, so I've been able to trace, cut and sew them in an evening. People talk about a running high- I'm on a sewing high- I'm in the zone and the endorphins are flowing.  Here are my pieces all laid out with some shoes and accessories:

I decided on a Spring color palette of white, dark blue, light green and taupe, with the fabrics heavy on natural fibers so that this will transition into hot summer easily.  I've got several pieces already that will blend with these, and my goal is to have something similar to a Project 333 closet.

My first project from this issue was #14- the Loose Fit pants. (All Ottobre designs have a number and name!)  These have pockets and an elastic waistband with multiple rows of stitching. I made them from a white stretch linen that is just luscious.  Great fit, super comfortable.  Can't wait to make more of this one.





Next up was #13- the Melange Knit cardigan.  The fabric was an acrylic navy blue/ white stripe sweater knit from Hancock fabrics.  This one is definitely a warm weather cardigan that is more open than a cool weather cardigan.  The center fronts do not meet or overlap, so there is less fabric used.  Mine turned out quite long, but I think that's because the fabric grew lengthwise.  My plan is that this cardigan will go with everything else, so I'll probably keep it in my purse to throw on when the air conditioning is too cold for bare arms.


This issue has several dresses, but I wanted to start with #16- the Optic Flowers Jersey Dress with pockets.  It has a dropped waist, banded pockets, and 3/4 sleeves.  I used a cotton/poly blend interlock from SewBaby- found here.  This washed up beautifully- very soft and substantial.  It's trimmed it with navy ribbing.  This is like a sweatshirt dress- very casual.  If you don't like to wear dresses because they are too dressy, try this one.  You won't feel like you are dressed up!





 I added 3 inches to the length, so it would hit just above the knee.   This is a dress that I can wear anywhere- very casual, comfy, and has just a little retro vibe to it I think.  Here it is with the cardigan.


I made two tops.  The first was #1- Grain Field.  This is a sleeveless swing crop top that is fitted at the bust and swings out at the waist.  It has a wide boat neckline, which I lowered 1-1/2" at the center front.  I like more open necklines.  I used a honeycomb floral navy voile, and lengthened it one inch.  Here it is with the #7 Swing and Flippy Skirt.



The second top was #10- Sculpture.  This one took two tries to get it right.  I first cut it out of a navy silk charmeuse because I thought it needed something with great drape.  Major fail.  The charmeuse didn't hold the pleats well at all, and the neckline stretched way out of shape.  The directions tell you to narrow hem it, and by the time my neckline was narrow hemmed, it just was a big squiggly mess.
Not to worry, I had another fabric with a little more body to try out.  This one was taupe linen, and the pleats held nicely.  I felt like the neckline was too curvy for the narrow hem though, so I finished it with a bias binding this time.  Good call, as this time the neckband lays nicely.  I'm in love with this one now.  The earthy color, the softness of the washed linen- ahhhhh- just makes you feel relaxed.   Each top took only one yard of fabric.
And lastly, the panel skirt is made from Swing and Flippy  #7.  The fabric is a sculptured floral stretch denim that I got from Hancock fabrics.    It is brushed too and feels really nice.  It has a high enough stretch factor, that I omitted the zipper and just went with an elastic waist.  My version has 3-1/2" extra length. I'm lucky that my fabric had stretch, as this baby is TIGHT in the tummy!  If I make it again from a non-stretch fabric, I'm sizing up.



I'm on Spring Break next week, and hope to get a few more designs sewn then.  If you are interested in this issue, you can order a copy at SewBaby!  We've sold out of our original shipment, but have more on the way, and you can reserve a copy.  I highly recommend it if you like simple easy to sew project like these!

Have you ever been on a sewing high where you could just sew on and on and on?

Ann

Comments

  1. What a great wardrobe for easy, comfortable Spring living! Your Spring wardrobe is coming together nicely. Hope you have more copies of this issue of Ottobre Woman left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rose! Yes we do still have it in stock.

      Delete
  2. What an inspiration you are - amazing wardrobe, kudos to you for being so quick too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing set of clothes. I love the cardigan but really I love all the garments. I might have to buy this issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori. I think you'd love this issue.

      Delete
  4. Wow! You've got a real head start on spring /summer wardrobe ! I especially love the dropped waist dress. Very cool looking. That's how I like to dress ,in a not dressed up dress and I have a Burda pattern that is very similar so I'm going to play copy cat and make me one! Your natural fiber fabrics all look so luscious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diana! I look forward to seeing yours!

      Delete
    2. Genius Ann!

      I love everything but the dress is perfect casual wear and I really love the sculpture top. I am enjoying seeing everyone's wardrobe capsule ideas!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Nakisha. Me too. Coming up with mix and match ideas is one of my favorite aspects of being able to sew.

      Delete
  5. You have super inspiration. Also, I'm going to renew my spring wardrobe and begins to dress in ottobre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Romikka! I hope that you enjoy sewing with Ottobre as much as I do.

      Delete
  6. WOW....your garments are lovely! You really bring Ottobre sewing forward! Love your wardrobe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE these!!! I got a subscription and am so glad to see your versions all made up. Really well chosen fabrics and colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. I look forward to seeing what you make from this issue!

      Delete
  8. Gosh, I love all of these pieces! Simple patterns, but with the right beautiful fabrics. You'll get lots of wear out of all of these this season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sewellen! I am so excited to start wearing these!

      Delete
  9. Nice.., I have some catching up to do. So far, I have sewn one Spring dress for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cennetta! The weather hasn't exactly been encouraging for Spring sewing, has it? Still 30 degrees out today!

      Delete
  10. Your versions of these pieces are fantastic! I don't subscribe, but I ordered the current issue because I love just about everything in it! Can't wait for it to get here -- maybe I'll catch your sewing high.☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose. This is a great issue, so I bet you will have a blast with it.

      Delete
  11. I love your pieces Ann, they are great and mixing and matching wardrobe planning is something I really need to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. It's a great way to think of how to use some of the more basic fabrics in a stash. Sometimes fabrics that look boring to me on their own can really be appreciated as part of a mix and match capsule.

      Delete
  12. I've recently picked up this Ottobre magazine and wanted to let you know how much I've enjoyed seeing your versions and reading your tips about making these. I've never sewn with Ottobre before, and this is the first time I've even seen the magazine in my area of South Carolina.... but love almost all the pieces in this collection too. I've got the #10 Sculpture traced, cut out and on neckline attempt #2! I like your linen version and bias binding idea and if this crepe doesn't work, then I've got some linen at the ready in the stash. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! I'm glad to have been of help! I hope your Sculpture turns out well!

      Delete
  13. I LOVE seeing the items on. Either you do amazing sewing to fit yourself or you have a great build, as every piece looks far better on you than the mannequin. ;) I loved the linen pants!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like your blog. I find the clothes you show in the pictures above very elegant and stylish for spring. You really gave me some excellent ideas for what I going to wear in the upcoming spring. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Grey Cashmere Coat Simplicity 3672

For the past few months, Fabric Mart has had the most gorgeous array of Michael Kors Wool Blend Coatings that I have ever seen!  During COVID stay at home time, I've been letting my gray grow out, and I thought that even though some of the delicious sounding shades like apricot and apple green would be beautiful, the heathered gray shade would be the most flattering to my gray hair and the most versatile for a winter coat.  And it was one of the coatings that listed Cashmere as one of the fiber components, so I was curious as to how that would feel.