Skip to main content

Two in One! Reversible Maxi Skirt and Butterick 6175

If you are like me, you love it when you can get double anything.  Double cash-back, double chocolate, double the fun!   Reversible clothes fit right into the double fun category.  This skirt is actually two skirts in one.  Side one is a beautiful silk chiffon tie-dye print.  Side two is a solid silk-cotton voile in a stunning royal blue.  Both fabrics are from Fabricmartfabrics.com



The pattern is for a bias cut skirt, Kwik Sew 3087.  It's now out of print, but you can find similar bias cut skirt patterns from all of the major pattern brands.  Why choose bias?  Garments cut on the bias are supposed to drape more gracefully than straight cut garments.  They do take more fabric than a straight cut skirt, but I think it's worth it.  Check out this similarly cut designer skirt on Net-a-Porter for $585!  You can make it, even out of silk, for a whole lot less!

The pattern is just one piece. To make it reversible, you just sew both skirts together at the waistband, and then make an elastic casing with the joining seam at the top.  You are supposed to hem both skirts at the same length, but I tried to make the solid side a tad longer.

The top that I'm wearing with the print skirt is from Butterick 6175.   I wanted to make a short top  out of cream linen that would just be a blank canvas for a long necklace.   I used View B with the bell sleeves.  There is a more tapered short sleeve if you don't like the bell look.




This is a super little pattern that may be a sleeper, but it will work with so many of my printed skirts, that I bet I will get a ton of use from it.  I lowered the neckline about 1-1/2", so that I could avoid having to make the button opening in the back.  I also used a bias strip to bind the neckline rather than have a facing.


Back to the bias skirt.  If you've never made a bias cut garment before, be aware that you need to let the garment hang for at least 24 hours before you hem it.  This is because the garment will grow unevenly, and you'll need to even it out before your final hem.  Here is a photo of what my skirt bottom looked like after 24 hours.  Even though the chiffon and the voile were cut the exact same length, the chiffon grew several inches longer!  To even it out, I walked a yardstick along the skirt, and marked the same level all around each layer.  Then I trimmed off any excess.  If you don't have a dress form, you can have another person do this while you are wearing it.





Hemming a bias cut chiffon is a recipe for frustration, so I decided to use my serger's rolled edge settings and finish each layer with a royal blue rolled edge.


I know that some people don't think maxi-skirts are terribly practical, but I find them extremely easy to wear.  How many skirts can you sit cross-legged with?  And who cares if you haven't shaved your legs in a while?  But, I also don't wear mine so long that they drag on the ground.  Two inches above the ground, and I won't worry about tripping over my skirt.  I won't be running any races in this, but then again, I'm not running races in anything!



So, I don't know which side I like best.  What do you think?  What's your favorite skirt length?

Happy Sewing!

Ann

Comments

  1. Gorgeous skirt and beautiful fabric. Thanks for the tip on the hemming, it was surprising how differently stretched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! Now that I know how much chiffon can grow, I'll cut it shorter if I make another one of these.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I am not sure which side I like better because they are both beautiful. I think I need to jump on the maxi skirt before I miss the bandwagon. Like the cream top too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa. You would look great in a maxi!

      Delete
  3. Very pretty skirt (or should I say, skirts). That blue is gorgeous. Great idea to make a reversible skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean Margaret. It's rare to find a blue that vibrant. I'm lucky to have found it.

      Delete
  4. Such a pretty skirt. And what a sleeper top! The envelope really does not sell it, but it's so cute with your skirt. It's hard to find just the right top for a maxi skirt, this one looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Coco! Yes, I think they really look best with either fitted t-shirts or short crop tops.

      Delete
  5. I love the cobalt blue colors and like both sides of the skirt. Your tops look great with the skirts. I just got that boxy top pattern recently and saw your review at PR this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Linda. Looking forward to seeing your version of the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Grey Cashmere Coat Simplicity 3672

For the past few months, Fabric Mart has had the most gorgeous array of Michael Kors Wool Blend Coatings that I have ever seen!  During COVID stay at home time, I've been letting my gray grow out, and I thought that even though some of the delicious sounding shades like apricot and apple green would be beautiful, the heathered gray shade would be the most flattering to my gray hair and the most versatile for a winter coat.  And it was one of the coatings that listed Cashmere as one of the fiber components, so I was curious as to how that would feel.