Skip to main content

Simplicity 2337 Princess Pleated Dress


This is the first project for my Fabric Stash Contest!  I am sooo thrilled with this dress.  It turned out better than I expected. 

The pattern I used was Simplicity 2337 which is one of the older Project Runway patterns.
It has several views, and I made View A which has the front that overlaps with pleats over the midsection.  I tell myself that this is tummy camouflage. 

I made a Full Bust Adjustment on the front pieces, using Debbie Cook's wonderful tutorial on her blog Stitches and Seams.  My high bust measurement is 36, which matches the pattern size 14.  My full bust measurement is 39, so I added 1-1/2" to the bust area on the side front, then added length to the center front and facing pieces.  I ended up needing to add an extra pleat to match the lengths, so I don't know if I calculated something wrong, or just made the other pleats too small.  Either way, it was an easy fix. 
Close-up of fabric





My fabric had a little stretch to it, so I decided to forgo the zipper this time, and it was fine.  The back facing ended up being quite large, and I took out 2" out of the center back to get it to fit.  I don't usually have to do this, so that could have been my fabric just had too much stretch, or I am developing a round upper back.  (I'm going to have to start working on my posture!)


The sleeves called for it to be turned up into a cuff.  I felt like I liked them as they were, and just hemmed them regularly.  I didn't add any length to the pattern, other than that needed for the full bust adjustment, and it hits me right above the knee.  I'm 5 feet 9 inches, so someone more petite may want to shorten this quite a bit. 





 I just had to show you my new shoes!  These are the Kennedy Patent Bow shoes on Shopruche.com  They are actually very comfortable!

Now that I've got the fitting figured out with this pattern, I would definitely like to make it again.  Maybe in a RED for Valentine's Day! 





Now to get busy sewing more for the Stash Contest! 

-Ann

Comments

  1. Oooh, red - how stunning this will look!!! You certainly have a winner with this pattern...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely dress. Definitely a red one - save it for the red dress contest! Side note: it looks a bit odd to see all that green grass in Jan. in IL - I hope it doesn't make up for it in the spring.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Grey Cashmere Coat Simplicity 3672

For the past few months, Fabric Mart has had the most gorgeous array of Michael Kors Wool Blend Coatings that I have ever seen!  During COVID stay at home time, I've been letting my gray grow out, and I thought that even though some of the delicious sounding shades like apricot and apple green would be beautiful, the heathered gray shade would be the most flattering to my gray hair and the most versatile for a winter coat.  And it was one of the coatings that listed Cashmere as one of the fiber components, so I was curious as to how that would feel.