Skip to main content

Kimono from Scarf Panel Fabric


It's been a few weeks since my last post, and oh, so much has happened!  I've been sheltering in place here in Illinois for the last 2 weeks, and am so concerned with the pandemic, that I've been spending most of my time on the phone with friends and family.  I've also been doing a LOT of sewing.  I'm so glad that I have something that can provide and enjoyable distraction during this high stress period.  I hope that you are staying safe, and if you are one of the essential workers during this time, thank you for all that you are doing! 



I want to share with you my latest project which is is a kimono type top made from a scarf panel print.  I bought two of these scarf panels from the Fabric Mart $1/$1.99 section, without really having a plan for it.  The panels had one big square , and then a moderately sized border.


You may have bought some too, as it was up on the website for a few months. So, I looked at this fabric on and off for several weeks, and then it finally dawned on me- a kimono!!!   I would use one square for the back, the other square divided in two for the sleeves, and the long border could be the fronts.


I used Butterick 6176 for my base pattern, and made View B without the fringe.
The pattern really couldn't be easier.  The neckline and hems are all narrow hemmed.  To give a little more stability to the back neckline, I applied some fusible Stay Tape between the shoulder seams before I narrow hemmed it.



Here you can kind of see where the sleeve seam is- it's at about the bicep level.  There are just little bits of solid periwinkle blue from the panel that I've placed at the bottom of the sleeves, the top of the back,  the top of the pockets, and the ties.   I think it kind of ties it all together.  I'm wearing a periwinkle camisole underneath.


After cutting the sleeves, I had half of the second large square left, so I used that part to make front ties and pockets.  I didn't use the pattern piece for the pocket.  One of the motifs had a pretty petal shape to it, so I just cut around the motif, leaving enough extra to turn under the edges.  I then nestled this into one of the larger motifs on the front border panel, and sewed it in place.



 The ties also weren't in the pattern- but I just cut 12 inch long strips that were 1-1/2" wide, and then sewed them with a 3/8" seam.  Turned them right side out and sewed to the inside at waist level.  I had these gold beads that I put on the end of the ties for a little bling.





I really like how this turned out, and it was fun to play around with the placement of the panel sections.  I think this is a great option for wearing around the house while we're sheltering at home, so I might make a couple more of these, and make some to send to my daughters who are sheltering in place in other places, as a pick me up!

Did you get any of this fabric?  What did you make or plan to make?

Please take care!

Ann 

Comments

  1. Looks great and the colors are perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always amazed when I see how someone buys a panel of fabric and creates a stunning garment! Yours is no exception! I love how the front pattern comes together, and the back is lovely too.

    This time has been difficult, yet I am grateful to sew as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I have some of this fabric and I was going to make a kimono too! Thanks for the inspiration. Now to dig out my pattern and fabric!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Grey Cashmere Coat Simplicity 3672

For the past few months, Fabric Mart has had the most gorgeous array of Michael Kors Wool Blend Coatings that I have ever seen!  During COVID stay at home time, I've been letting my gray grow out, and I thought that even though some of the delicious sounding shades like apricot and apple green would be beautiful, the heathered gray shade would be the most flattering to my gray hair and the most versatile for a winter coat.  And it was one of the coatings that listed Cashmere as one of the fiber components, so I was curious as to how that would feel.