Skip to main content

V-Neck Tunics from BurdaStyle 10/2017/127


In BurdaStyle's October issue, there was a loose-fitting tunic in the plus section that caught my eye.  It looked super simple, and stylish, and I had a couple of short cuts of wools that I could envision it made out of- it just takes 1-3/4 yards.


The first was a remnant of a nubby wool sweater knit. It started out white, but to make it work with my First Frost capsule wardrobe plan, I dyed it this very pale blue.  I just used the regular RIT dye from the store, and it worked great.  One thing that helps with dying a wool fabric is adding white vinegar to the dye bath to help with the dye uptake.




One the sewing side, there is really hardly anything to making these- as all of the edges are just turned under and stitched down.  The original design has zippers at the side, which would make it more challenging to sew. I had ordered some cool zippers to use for these, but alas, when they got here, the colors weren't anywhere near what I was expecting, so I left them off.  Nikisha from Dressmaking Debacles also made this pattern into a great version from a sweatshirt knit with the side zippers here.


The second tunic was made from a much heavier boiled wool.  This was my first time making something with boiled wool, and I loved it!  It's really soft and spongy, and feels so good to wear. Just like wearing a blanket!


I dyed this one from it's original cream color to a soft rose, and my dye job is a little blotchy, but I think it kind of adds to the uniqueness of the piece.  Here you can see the back.


And a close-up of the front.  It was quite a bit too big in the neckline for me, and I ended up taking the shoulder seam up another inch or so at the neck on both of them. 


I also made the tops underneath.   The leopard print is from Simplicity 8529 and the solid black is from Butterick 6389.  Both are just very basic knit tops with a high neckline to keep my neck warm.


I made both of these before Christmas and have been reaching for them quite a bit when I'm at home.  They are a little too warm for work, but we keep our house thermostat a little lower, so it's nice to pop them on when I get home.

If you're looking for an alternative to a cardigan, give this pattern a try!  I think that it could also be nice for a spring/summer top made out of a linen or cotton knit. 

Happy Sewing!
Ann

Comments

  1. LOVE!!! I need to learn to play with dyes.

    I adore the blush color. They look so warm and toasty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very chic - especially in the wools you used and the colours are gorgeous. I love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you dyed one of the wools...it turned out so pretty, and looks great on you! You make that Burda garment look so much better than pictured!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely colour! They look lovely on you! Well done:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great layering piece for winter. Both your tops are lovely Ann.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Grey Cashmere Coat Simplicity 3672

For the past few months, Fabric Mart has had the most gorgeous array of Michael Kors Wool Blend Coatings that I have ever seen!  During COVID stay at home time, I've been letting my gray grow out, and I thought that even though some of the delicious sounding shades like apricot and apple green would be beautiful, the heathered gray shade would be the most flattering to my gray hair and the most versatile for a winter coat.  And it was one of the coatings that listed Cashmere as one of the fiber components, so I was curious as to how that would feel.