Skip to main content

Sewing a Winter Vacation Wardrobe



Happy New Year!  I haven't blogged for almost 3 months, but I have definitely still been sewing!  Almost all of my sewing has been geared towards some exciting vacation plans and a wardrobe that I can wear on vacation.   This is part 1 of a 2 part post, and I'm keeping our destination a surprise until the 2nd post when I plan to show you the wardrobe on location!  I will give you a few hints, and maybe you can guess.

It's a big city, and the temperature is in the high 50's during the day and the low 40's at night.  I read where the people in this city dress mostly in black, grey and brown during the winter months.  So, to fit in with the locals, I decided to go with a black/grey/brick red color palette.  All fabrics are from FabricMartFabrics.  I figured that I would be outside and wearing a coat on most days, so the coat had to coordinate with everything.  To do this, I chose a printed double knit that had a black background with red and gray accents.  This fabric was heavy enough to be a midweight coat, and I chose Butterick 6384 for my pattern.  I trimmed it with real leather, and found this great toggle on Ebay to use as a closure instead of a belt.  I realize that using a print for a coat is a bit crazy, but this city is used to avant garde artists and architects (hint #1).




I then set my mind to making everything else.  First up, (since I still had black thread in the serger), was a very basic black turtleneck.  This was a fleece lined knit and I used Butterick 6389 for the base, but then lengthened it and made it more swingy.  I think it looks super dressy with these pearls that I picked up at a local resale store.  But really, it feels like a sweatshirt, so it is crazy comfy. I'm showing everything with a black skirt, but I will likely be wearing leggings with everything.




 For my second tunic, I chose a grey french terry type knit and used McCall's 7435.  This is a great tunic, because the cowl is actually also a hood!  It also has a really nice shaped hem.  I figure that I will wear this on the plane so that I can pull it up over my head and sleep during the long plane ride over the Atlantic ocean (hint #2).


 For my 3rd tunic, I used a brick heathered knit  For this one, I used Simplicity 8265.  Just a very basic tunic with side slits.  I like how it gives a nice canvas for necklaces.  Also, this city serves a very popular alcoholic beverage with fruit that will blend in with this color, should I spill any on myself.  (Hint #3)


And for my last tunic, I decided to go with a striped charcoal grey and white pique knit. I used McCalls 7020 for this one.  I thought something sporty would be appropriate, as this city is crazy about football (hint #4)! This is lightweight, but it has both silk and wool in the fabric content, so I think it should still be warm.  I decided to place the stripes vertically and added patch pockets at the front and a fold over neckband.


Here's a closer look at the fabric:


I'm a little worried that the coat will be too hot during the day if the sun is shining, so I decided I should take some fleece vests as an alternative.  I had purchased a quilted red fleece and a black corded fleece during one of Fabric Mart's fleece sales.  For the red one, I used Butterick 6388.  I like how the color on the wrong side shows with this design.


 For the black fleece vest, I added patch pockets to Simplicity 8217.
 The bands are made with a faux suede knit, that I also used to make leggings.


And lastly, I had enough of the brick heather knit to make a dress, so I decided to make one that I have been wanting to try for a while Butterick 6241.  Some would say that this shape is "gawdy", but that would be a very high compliment in this particular city (hint #5).



Here's how it looks with the opened coat:

And lastly, here are the charcoal grey faux suede leggings, and jewelry to "tapas" off the looks (hint #6!).  My other pair of leggings will be a basic black.


To sum it all up, my destination city is known for it's unique architecture, modern art, sports, delicious (but small) foods, and stylish citizens.  Can you guess where I'm going?  I'll be back next week with photos to see if you guessed right. I'll also let you know if my wardrobe plan worked well or not!

Happy Sewing!
Ann

Comments

  1. I have no idea where you went! I want to say New York, but I am going to guess Portland, Oregon instead!! Wherever you went, your wardrobe is lovely, and you really have a knack for putting great colors/designs together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time in Barcelona! You will impress the natives with your gorgeous, coordinated wardrobe. You've certainly impressed me! Every item is truly wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking Barcelona as well! Your travel wardrobe is beautiful and well thought out. We were in Barcelona a year ago and it's my favorite city. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, THANK YOU for sharing this! I am racking my brain, because I need to sew a travel wardrobe for one week, at the end of the European winter. Your selection is so spot on! That dress pattern was already in my selection as well, I love how your version looks. Everything here is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great wardrobe. Definately Barcelona!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect wardrobe for Spain! Hope you see Barcelona and Madrid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would add some hidden pockets--many pickpockets in Barcelona!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so perfect. I love those tops, the tunic. LOVE the jacket!

    I think I guessed Barcelona last time too and I'm sticking with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found this post on Bloglovin and I will be back to see your ongoing posts! Great job on your wardrobe planning and fabric choices. From your hints, I think your travels are bringing you to Spain. Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Grey Cashmere Coat Simplicity 3672

For the past few months, Fabric Mart has had the most gorgeous array of Michael Kors Wool Blend Coatings that I have ever seen!  During COVID stay at home time, I've been letting my gray grow out, and I thought that even though some of the delicious sounding shades like apricot and apple green would be beautiful, the heathered gray shade would be the most flattering to my gray hair and the most versatile for a winter coat.  And it was one of the coatings that listed Cashmere as one of the fiber components, so I was curious as to how that would feel.