Skip to main content

Wrap Pants and Fringed Poncho Vogue 9191



Have you ever tried wrap pants?  I've tried wrap dresses and even a wrap culotte jumper from the 70's.
But never wrap pants, so I had to try Vogue 9191 , a five piece wardrobe with two ponchos, wrap pants, shorts and a crop top.


Not knowing whether this was a style that I wanted to wear, I didn't want to invest too much money in it, so I hopped down to our local WalMart (or the evil empire as it is known in our house), and found some amazing fabrics for $1.50/yard!  The white is a loosely woven cotton dobby, which I thought could fringe well for the poncho, and the blue is a polyester challis.  So, for all three pieces, my fabric cost was only $9.


The pants are so much fun.   In motion, they are really pretty.  I had a couple of concerns- how to go to the bathroom and what happens in the wind.  Neither of those things turned out to be a big deal.  Going to the bathroom was surprisingly easy- just untie the back and flip it over your shoulders.
What wasn't one of my concerns and should have been, was what happens when I cross my legs.  Oh boy!  I absolutely cannot cross my legs in this without showing my legs all the way to the thigh.

The top looks pretty plain from the front, but the back has several pleats which are really pretty.  I lowered the front neckline a couple of inches so that I could skip the keyhole opening that the pattern includes.


The poncho I made is View A, but I did a self-fringe instead of adding a purchased fringe.


To make the fringe, I stitched a line about 3-1/2" from the bottom all around the lower edge.  Then,  I cut 3" strips, 1/4" wide, put it in the washing machine, and crossed my fingers.   After it was dry, I gave it a good shake, and then took the cat brush,which is a wire brush and brushed it out.  This is my result, which I think is pretty cool.  I think it will be nice to wear when it is a little chilly or at night.  


I still want to make the shorts from this pattern as well. I had a lot of fun making it, as it is really simple to sew and quick to put together.  When my daughter came over today, she said "You are brave- I wouldn't wear that, and I don't know anyone else that would wear that, but it looks good on you!".    I do feel that lately, I've been experimenting a lot more with unusual styles, and I've been really enjoying that.   I'm embracing the freedom that comes with being able to sew your own wardrobe.  Why not have fun?

Happy Sewing!

Ann

Comments

  1. I love the entire outfit! You look great in it. I plan to make wrap pants soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly like this poncho, top and pants. Lucky you that you have a Walmart that sells fabric. I actually did find some nice fabrics from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your daughter. It does look good on you. I did think to myself recently, with admiration, that you were trying some really different styles. Go for it! I sewed both a pair of wrap shorts and pants long ago. I remember liking them a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann his outfit is AWESOME!!! I love it to death. The self fringe is a fabulous touch and more unique! I have done self fringe but only on leather, it's kinda cool on a fraying fabric. {you may see this on my blog sometime!...wink!] -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann your search for personal style and unique looks sure gets my vote! Your bohemian outfit looks just awesome on you. Nice to see sewers embrace new looks , rather then be a sheep. Having said this now , it's on trend for today, your daughter just hasn't caught up to you. Love the fringe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've recently tried wrap pants myself, having seen them on Pinterest! And I'm a big gal, (who doesn't want her thighs to show when she sits), so I attached large scale snaps at the knee to hold the pants together. But I have worn wide leg or palazzo trousers for years so this wasn't a stretch for me. I plan on altering my next pair to where it will close in the back with velcro and put a button closure in the front instead of ties, because I'm making wool ones for fall and I'd like them more tailored. I could wear this style forever! Its very flattering and feels great to wear.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Grey Cashmere Coat Simplicity 3672

For the past few months, Fabric Mart has had the most gorgeous array of Michael Kors Wool Blend Coatings that I have ever seen!  During COVID stay at home time, I've been letting my gray grow out, and I thought that even though some of the delicious sounding shades like apricot and apple green would be beautiful, the heathered gray shade would be the most flattering to my gray hair and the most versatile for a winter coat.  And it was one of the coatings that listed Cashmere as one of the fiber components, so I was curious as to how that would feel.