I prewashed the fabric so it is ultra soft. I decided to use yellow piping and topstitching, as kind of an unexpected accent. Then I accented the pocket and cuffs with a little bit of this Climbing Vines print. It's my intention to make an entire short sleeve pajama top and shorts from it as soon as I know if this pattern fits her.
I used Kwik Sew 2811 for the pattern, and I loved it. It has all kinds of nice little details that you don't find in all pajamas. Such as this combination tie and elastic waistband. The elastic is stitched down at the side seams and back, and then the tie fills out the front of the waistband. Should be great for wearing because you can loosen it or tighten it, but still have the snugness of elastic for the back.
Then for the robe, I chose Field Day Paisley and Field Day Cherries. They also have the orange, pink, grey and yellow, plus a little green. I used the yellow piping and topstitching again. I know that the recuperation is going to be hard, so I'm hoping that these cheery little touches will help her feel better.
I used Slicker Yellow mini-piping. The whole robe and the little bit on the pajama top took one package which is 3 yards. The robe pattern is Kwik Sew 3844 which I had made for myself here. This is such a nice pattern. I think it makes a really expensive looking robe with the piping. It's not hard at all to apply.
She's coming home tonight and I can't wait to see how she likes it! The surgery isn't for another month, but I hope she'll start wearing it right away. This was a fun project for a cold and rainy Sunday here.