Skip to main content

Ivy+Blu Sundress Butterick 6021


Does your fabric ever talk to you?  I ordered this beautiful watercolor floral cotton gauze from FabricMart at the beginning of this month, and it has just been screaming "Make Me!  Make Me!"  ever since it arrived at my house.  I really didn't have time to sew, but yesterday, I just couldn't stand it any longer and gave in to the calls.  Most of my fabrics can sit for months, even years, before they get sewn up, so this was highly unusual.

I also had a pattern that has been more lightly whispering, "make me".  That would be Butterick 6021, an Ivy+Blu design from a couple of years ago.  You know how a book just opens to a certain page every time?  That was happening with this pattern.  It had a hem that was longer at the front than the sides, a lined bodice, and tie belt.

So, I thought- well, let's just get this over with- the pattern is pretty simple, I should be able to sew it up in a couple of hours, and get on with my life. Right?  Wrong.  I fiddled and fiddled with the fitting pretty much all day.

Luckily, the only other pressing engagement that I had was weeding the garden, and the weeds are enjoying the sunshine and are quite content to be left alone.

So, the first challenge was that my fabric wasn't wide enough for the pattern.  It called for 60" wide fabric, and mine was 54".  Usually when the yardage chart says 60"on the fabric width, it is just a code for anything 54" or wider,  but not this one.  It really needed the entire width.   The gauze did have an obvious directional crinkle to it, or else I would have switched the layout to a crosswise grain.  So, my first adjustment to the pattern was to shave off enough of the pattern for it to fit my fabric's width.

Here is the first change:



This left the side seam too short for my tall self.  So, I decided to angle the side seam enough so that it would be at least 23" long.  See the folded edge- that is the side seam?  This change removed some of the fullness of the skirt, but you can see that there is plenty of skirt fullness left in the finished dress.  It does reduce the difference between the highest and lowest point, so the hem is not as dramatic. 



I had checked out PatternReview to see other versions of this dress, and there was only one!  It was a a gorgeous version made by Adrienne of Adrienne's Essentials, and she didn't mention any issues with the bodice sizing, so I forged ahead blindly without making a muslin.  I cut my normal size, but the shoulder straps were way too wide for me, and ended up falling off my shoulders.  I didn't have enough fabric to recut, so I had to fix what I had.  For the front, I made two 1/2" pleats- one on each side of the center front. These are barely visible due to the busy-ness of my print, but you can see them here:


For the back, I decided to make a center back seam to remove about 1-1/4" from the width.   If you look closely, you can see it here.  I still needed to remove quite a bit of length from the straps as well.  Since my shoulders are uneven, I took about 1" from one side, and 1-1/2" from the other side.  It now sits on my shoulders quite nicely.


When I make this again, I will fold the patterns for the center front and back in about 1/2", and also cut two sizes shorter on the straps, like this:



Finally, I narrow hemmed the whole skirt hem, and then tried it on.  I should have reversed these steps: try on, then hem, because part of the skirt was on the bias and it had grown significantly longer in a certain section. It had to be trimmed up and re-hemmed there.  So, if you make this, let it hang for some time, and then take a look at your hem before actually hemming! 


Other changes that I made:

-  I added inseam pockets.  I used a pocket pattern from another pattern, and just placed them 3 inches below the waist on each side seam.


-I left out the elastic at the waist.  I did put it in originally, but it felt a little uncomfortable, and if it gets really hot, I plan on wearing this as more of a loose dress with no tie belt.

-I left out the skirt lining.  My fabric was opaque enough to get away with it.

I'm pretty happy with the end product, and now I can get on with my garden weeding!  If you have this pattern, I strongly recommend making a bodice muslin to figure out any tweaking that you might need for your body shape.

 I'll leave you with June in central Illinois- sunshine, corn, wind and wide-open blue skies.  I don't live on a farm, but this field is directly behind our house, and we really enjoy living so close to it.  I grew up on a farm and love this time of year when we get to see the bounty of our part of the world.


Happy Sewing!

Ann

Comments

  1. This is a perfect pairing of fabric and pattern. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with STAshworth, this is a perfect pairing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect summer dress! I really like the fabric

    ReplyDelete
  4. That fabric is so pretty Ann and just perfect for your dress! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been flirting with this pattern- you've pushed me over the edge- I want this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would look adorable in this Anne! I'll be looking for your version.

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely floaty summer dress. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is adorable Ann. You look so fresh and pretty in it and the part you had to shave off certainly didn't spoil the final look..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ann, your dress is beautiful. Great save on the length and strap issues. I sometimes run into the same issue with the length because I'm so tall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just stumbled across this post as I was searching to see if anyone else had the same bodice trouble that I had with this pattern. Thanks for sharing! I had to take away at least 2" from the front and back center bodice pieces (after sewing the whole thing in my fashion fabric, of course). Wish I'd seen your post first! Yours looks lovely; great fabric. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Grey Cashmere Coat Simplicity 3672

For the past few months, Fabric Mart has had the most gorgeous array of Michael Kors Wool Blend Coatings that I have ever seen!  During COVID stay at home time, I've been letting my gray grow out, and I thought that even though some of the delicious sounding shades like apricot and apple green would be beautiful, the heathered gray shade would be the most flattering to my gray hair and the most versatile for a winter coat.  And it was one of the coatings that listed Cashmere as one of the fiber components, so I was curious as to how that would feel.