Skip to main content

Let the Fall Sewing Begin! Butterick 6066 Review

Hello!  It's been a crazy summer here, which is why it has been 3 months since my last post.  We went on a 3 week trip to ITALY!!  Yes, it was amazing, fantastic, exciting, and every other superlative word that I can think of.  If you haven't been, save your pennies and go!  You will not regret it.  The people, the food, the landscapes, the fashion- it is all good.  

Sometime, I will blog about the travel wardrobe that I made for it, but for now, I am looking forward to FALL!

There are so many patterns that I want to try, and fabrics that I love, that I find I get more done when I sew with a plan, narrowing the focus of what I want to make.  I spent most of a day going through my stash of patterns and fabrics, and have selected my color scheme for Fall to be the colors of the harvest- burgundy and golden wheat.  

I've collected a number of solid burgundy fabrics through the years,mostly coming from Fabric Mart Bundles.  So, I'm going to challenge myself to make more detail oriented garments than I'm used to, and to mix fabric textures together.  I'm excited, and I hope that you'll follow along with my progress.  I'm always so tempted to use a print fabric and a simple pattern to get something done fast, so this really will be a test for me to see if I can sew a little slower, and make things a little richer. 

For patterns, I'm going to try to work on getting a good fit, so I'm looking at quite a few Palmer Pletsch and Sandra Betzina patterns that address fit issues.  However, my first venture is Butterick 6066.  This is one of their Lifestyle Wardrobe patterns, that includes three items- pants, top and dress.
 


What really sold me on this pattern was the separate pattern pieces for different cup sizes for the top/dress.   I made the 16 with the D cup pieces, and added 2" to the length.


The dress could be made with or without the armhole bands and peplum.  My daughter had a well worn burgundy leather jacket that got ripped.  I took it apart, and decided to use pieces of it for the armhole bands.  I like the rustic texture that they add.

I went for the peplum too.   It is just a partial peplum that tucks into the waist seam.  My fabric is a raw silk.  It has a rough, linen like texture to it, not what most people would describe as "silky". I washed a little square of it, and the washing removed the sheen and shrunk it quite a bit.  I liked the sheen, so I decided to skip the washing, and will have dry clean this dress.  

The back doesn't call for an exposed zipper, but the only zipper that I had in this color was a brass jacket zipper that was just too bulky to be put underneath. I've never done an exposed zipper like this before.  The biggest question that I had was how to apply it with the lining.  I ended up sewing the lining and outer fabric together on each side, then hand basting the opening closed.  This way, all raw edges would be hidden.   I like the extra interest that it gives to the back, and will probably try this again.





The dress is fully lined.  Here is what it looks like on the inside!
I don't usually like to line things, but I think that it will help prevent wrinkling, and since this will be a dry clean only dress, may keep the perspiration away from the silk.

I would have liked pockets. I think inseam pockets would be fine, even with the peplum version.

I'm accessorizing it with a belt from the Limited, a Fossil necklace and Earth shoes.

What about you?  Have you started thinking about Fall sewing yet?

 I think it is my favorite season to sew for, so I'm probably thinking about it year round.

Happy Sewing!

Ann




Comments

  1. This is pretty!!!!! I think the color is wonderful on you too. I have not started to think about fall sewing yet. I think I will soon. It doesn't get cooler here until October, but I could use this time to be better prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Vanessa! Yes, the planning stage can be just as long as the sewing stage for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your dress! If fits you beautiful and your exposed zip is a nice surprise in the back. I made a cardi for the fall a few weeks ago and wore it yesterday since it rained and was only mid 60's. Not much fall thoughts happening here, but I should be thinking that way considering summer will be wrapping up before I know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! Weather is all over the map these days, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous! the leather is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicki! I like it too. I still have lots of other pieces of the jacket to work with, so I think it will keep showing up in my garments.

      Delete
  5. Great dress! You can sew very well!
    Claudia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything about this dress...... the colour, the peplum, the exposed zipper, the leather accent... Everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning! I love the exposed zip and leather accents. Looks very posh and expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely dress and love the color choice & leather detail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely dress. Fits so nicely. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Grey Cashmere Coat Simplicity 3672

For the past few months, Fabric Mart has had the most gorgeous array of Michael Kors Wool Blend Coatings that I have ever seen!  During COVID stay at home time, I've been letting my gray grow out, and I thought that even though some of the delicious sounding shades like apricot and apple green would be beautiful, the heathered gray shade would be the most flattering to my gray hair and the most versatile for a winter coat.  And it was one of the coatings that listed Cashmere as one of the fiber components, so I was curious as to how that would feel.