Skip to main content

Sequined Vest Simplicity 1943

 I've never sewn with sequined fabric before- probably because I have no where to wear it to!  But when Fabricmartfabrics.com had this black sequined fabric on their Deal of the Day, I thought, "Let's get a yard, and see what it's like."  I was surprised!  It was really quite easy to sew with.  This particular one was a knit, and the sequins were sewn on.  I had read that you should remove the sequins from the seam line so that you don't break a needle, so I decided I better have as few seams as possible.

Simplicity 1943 had a knit vest pattern that only had side and shoulder seams, and said that it would fit on 1 yard of fabric!  A perfect match!
Before I went through the arduous task of removing the sequins from the seamline, I did a test with my machine on a swatch that did not have the sequins removed.  Luckily, the machine handled it beautifully- no broken needles, no sequins flying.  I did wear glasses just in case!
I did line the vest with a black ITY knit.  The back side of the fabric was a little scratchy, and I didn't want to risk not wearing it because of that.  I sewed all of the seams with the sequins still intact, and they even pressed beautifully.  I was afraid that they might melt, but they were perfectly fine for short presses.

They do however snag anything that they come in contact with.  This is just annoying!  I can see why most sequin fashions don't have sleeves, because the snagging problem would be multiplied with sleeves.  But for a night out, special occasion, I think that I can live with that.

Happy Sewing!

Ann



Comments

  1. Nice to see you had an 'easy' time sewing this vest. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I've been scared off sequins as well, glad to see it can be done! Great vest for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Coco! I know that all sequin fabrics are different, so your mileage may vary, but this one from Fabric Mart is an easy one to try.

      Delete
  3. Your vest is sew cute and versatile! I find during the holidays you can wear sequins everywhere - even to the grocery store! I do hope you wear it because it looks just great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it will work with more casual settings too.

      Delete
  4. Great choice of style for this tricky fabric! I haven't tried working with sequins because of the removal aspect, but you may have changed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judith! I think you just have to test a sample before you begin. There are so many different types of sequined fabric out there!

      Delete
  5. All your clothes are stunning. You look amazing and I love your sense of style. Thanks for sharing.Fabrics World USA is a famous and fashionable fabrics store in USA.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Grey Cashmere Coat Simplicity 3672

For the past few months, Fabric Mart has had the most gorgeous array of Michael Kors Wool Blend Coatings that I have ever seen!  During COVID stay at home time, I've been letting my gray grow out, and I thought that even though some of the delicious sounding shades like apricot and apple green would be beautiful, the heathered gray shade would be the most flattering to my gray hair and the most versatile for a winter coat.  And it was one of the coatings that listed Cashmere as one of the fiber components, so I was curious as to how that would feel.