Skip to main content

Los Proyectos Locos

I'm probably like most seamstresses- when people find out that you can sew, you might be the only person that they know who sews, and they come to you with some pretty crazy projects!  I thought you might like to see some of mine.


I work at a Dual Language Spanish/English elementary school, and we have a big Hispanic Heritage Celebration every year.  Our kindergarten teacher, who is a true Spaniard, said that her dream was to have a Giant King like they do in Spain for holiday processions.  So, our enrichment teacher came up with the idea to put a paper mache head on top of a ladder, and would I make a king's robe for him.



How could I turn down that challenge?  He's a big guy, and we put together as many scraps from our local craft/recycle store, and I sewed them up.   My guess is we will be making his queen next year.



For a couple of years, I would repair a crash test dummy for an Illinois State Policeman after he used it in demonstrations.  It was made of cloth, unlike many of the new ones that are high impact plastic, and the seams would just bust open.  This dummy looked pretty lifelike, and I imagined that the neighbors must have been a little confused to see the state policeman so often at our house, carrying out what looked to be a body! I would sit him on a bench in our dining room, and every time one of us would turn the corner into the room , we would jump, he looked so lifelike!  But after a while, he was replaced with a newer model, so I didn't have the pleasure of scaring people anymore.



But, I recently had the pleasure of scaring my cat with a very lifelike stuffed panther that needed stitches.  This is a panther the size of a small child, and he is the mascot of the school.  He had been hugged so much that his seams had burst, and I was called in to play surgeon and stitch him back up.  The day that I brought him home was the same day that we took our cat to the vet.  I'm thinking that the cat thought we picked the panther up from the vet, and that he was REAL!  Our cat was seriously afraid of this animal and would skulk around him, ready to run.  He's much happier now that I've returned the panther to the classroom.



Did you know that it is a thing now to have a Christmas party and dress up like characters from the movie Christmas Vacation?  I've now made two Ellen Griswold blouses like the one above.  And if you have googled "Ellen Griswold Blouse" and have found my blog.  No, I will not make another.  Not for any amount of money.  Sorry.  Two is enough.  If I make another, it will just be for me.

I really enjoy a good challenge, and I'm usually amenable to los proyectos locos.   I hate hemming and alterations, but give me something that taxes my brain, and I'm happy.

How about you?  What is the craziest sewing project that you've done?

Happy Sewing!
 

Ann






Comments

  1. Best post ever! especially the police showing up to pick up the body ... and not just once

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness! The creative possibilities with sewing are...endless!! And yes, you are so right about the response you get when someone knows you sew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post, shows how essential sewers are in everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have had some interesting sewing projects--enjoyed hearing about them--especially the crash dummy as my Dad was a Texas State Trooper--if he were alive, he would love hearing that story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are awesome! I loved reading about all these! My favorite however is the crash test dummy....:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Style Arc Dotty Blouse and Burda 6879 Skinny Pants

Listen children.  It's time for a sewing story.  Sit by the fire with me, and I'll tell you the story of how three flat, lifeless pieces of fabric became my new favorite winter outfit. With a little help from the elves at FabricMart, Burda, and Style Arc, I whipped up this outfit just in time for the holidays. Chapter 1.  The Dotty Blouse Silk charmeuse.  Aahhhh.  Just the thought of it brings me bliss.  Is there anything so light as a feather, shimmery as a star, fluid as a mountain stream?  All wrapped up in one glorious fabric.  Sometimes I look at the prices of clothes in the stores, and wonder "Why am I sewing? ".  But one touch of silk charmeuse and I remember. This is the stuff that you can't buy a top made from for less than $200, but you can make it for $50 or less. When I saw this stylized animal print silk charmeuse at FabricMart, I grabbed up 3 yards of it right away.  One of silk charmeuse's best qualities is it's drapa