When the cold shoulder trend started, I laughed and thought, I will never, ever get on that bandwagon. Hahaha! Never, say never! As I kept seeing more and more bloggers making cute versions, I finally decided to try it out for myself.
And the verdict is.....I love it! I used a animal print rayon knit, and Butterick 6425. This has lots of views, and mine is a hybrid between the dress body of View B, and the sleeves of View C. I also angled out the bottom of my dress a couple of inches to make it more like a swing dress. Rayon knits have a horrendous tendency to show all of your lumps and bumps, and I thought this might help reduce that.
This is really a lightweight fabric, but I can wear it with pants and a poncho for when I want to feel more covered up.
And I'm wearing it unbelted, but it would be easy to add a belt to get more waist definition. This was my test garment, and I am definitely excited to make it again with a couple of adjustments- I'll add a couple of inches to the length, and I'll do a full bust adjustment.
I've also sewed a few things for my daughters this month, but it is difficult to get them to pose for photos! This is a maxi skirt using the Burda magazine pattern that I had made before here. And the tank top is made from Kwik Sew 3882.
The fabric was from a Fabric Mart mystery bundle that she bought me for Christmas. I love mystery bundles! This is a cotton jersey and I trimmed it with black fold over elastic, and black twill tape for the drawstring.
The daughter that I made this for is going to visit my youngest daughter in Madagascar this week! I thought that this would be colorful and fun for her trip. I even added some beads to the drawstring.
My oldest daughter is the maid of honor in a wedding next week. I have made her dress for the wedding, and hopefully will be getting some photos of her in it soon!
How about you- have you tried the cold shoulder trend yet? If yes, what did you think?
Saturday, June 17, 2017
What could be better on a June day than having breakfast outside in your favorite pajamas and robe? Enjoying the sounds of the birds and the wind in the trees. Ahh... bliss.
When I think about how much time I spend in my pajamas and robe, I realize that I get more wear out of them, than any other items in my wardrobe! I made these summer pajamas two years ago, and have worn them out, so it's time to make a new set! I wanted something super light and airy, and all natural fibers, so I chose an embroidered cotton voile for the robe and shorts, and a dusty pink linen knit for the top. For the pattern, I used McCalls 5769, a now out of print pattern, but a good one if you can find it.
Let's start with the robe. This is a really basic pattern with dropped shoulders, a tie, pockets and a band. Super simple, and even a beginner could make this.
I used a narrow double fold bias tape in light blue all around the front band, pocket top, and cuffs. This is actually much easier than piping. You just put it over the edge and stitch in it place. One package was enough for the whole robe.
You can see how unique this fabric is- the flowers are almost painted on like a watercolor, and then they are outlined in a chain stitch embroidery. Really soft and pretty!
I always use a lightweight interfacing in pockets- it stops them from stretching out and eliminates any show through on a thin fabric.
I used two strips of Lite Steam-A-Seam 2, which is a double sided lightweight adhesive to adhere it, instead of stitching. After you remove the paper backing, it's clear. And a nice bonus, it serves as the hem edge, so I just made sure that the lace covered up the lower edge.
This fabric was very stretchy, and without any lycra for recovery, so I knew that stabilizing the neck edge was going to be a challenge. I fused a small strip of 1/4" wide interfacing to the back neck edge. I decided to line the bodice front and back for modesty, as the fabric is also quite sheer.
For the underarm edge that wasn't covered by the sleeve, I used a single fold bias tape, folded to the inside, which also stabilized the armhole.
I had just enough fabric left over from the robe to make a pair of shorts to match. Since the fabric is so lightweight, I only needed 1/4" wide elastic at the waistband.
I also made a test garment out of a white cotton knit to make sure that the top pattern was going to work for me. It turned out pretty well too! On this one, I sewed on strips of lace around the neck and just under the bodice. Then, I also used the ruffle piece at the underbust, and used a lettuce edge finish.
I wish that I could tell you that this was fast, but it was not! These details do take some time, but they also elevate it to something nicer than your standard sleep shirt.
It's going to be tempting to wear this all day around the house. I would never be able to find something that I liked even half as much in a store, which is just one of the many reasons of why I love to sew!