Skip to main content

Violet, Grey and Black Mini-Wardrobe

My daughter's 24th birthday is this month, and when I asked her what she wanted for her birthday, she said "Could you make me some new clothes?".  Music to my ears!  I've had a horrible cold all weekend and haven't left the house for 3 days because I've been so sick, but it gave me plenty of time to think about what I could make.  I napped a little, sewed a little, napped a little sewed a little. 


Serena started her first professional job last year, and she works as a food engineer in Chicago.  She can wear anything that she wants to work, but she really likes dresses.  She also has a long commute to get to her job, which involves about a mile walk each morning in the Chicago weather, plus standing outside at the train station every day in the bitter cold.  So, I thought I would make her some things to make that commute a little warmer, and still be fun and appropriate for a 24 year old engineer.  I started pulling fabrics from my stash, and a violet, grey, black theme started.

Then I went to my Burda magazines for inspiration, and came across this top and skirt set from the October issue.  I made the top out of a chevron print rayon challis, and the skirt from a dove grey wool gabardine. 

I think the top is really fun and she can pull from any of those colors for her accessories.

The skirt isn't completed yet- I still need to line and hem it, but I want it to fit her like a glove, so I'm going to wait until she can try it on.


I liked that top so much, that I pulled another polyester crepe from my stash to make a second one.  Both of these fabrics were "mystery bundle" fabrics from Fabric Mart.

I think that the skirt looks fine with both.  But if she likes the skirt style, I have a dark violet wool gabardine, that I'd make a second one from.  I just love this skirt shape too.  Ignore the wrinkles- that should go away when I line it.

She wanted some dresses, but I knew that they needed to be wash and wear and comfortable.  This is a Scuba fabric that I picked up at Hancock's.  I didn't even know it was scuba, until I started working with it, and then it dawned on me- this is too springy to be a normal ponte.  Also, it didn't absorb any water when I prewashed it.  It was dry as a bone coming out of the wash.  I think she's going to like this one.

I used the Winter Street Dress pattern from Patternreview.com.  I did add some darts to give it a little more shaping so the waist would be a little more fitted.

I wanted to make a top layer in case her office is chilly.  I had this houndstooth ponte knit, and used McCalls 7026.  
This is a zip front sweatshirt pattern, but out of the houndstooth, I think it looks more business casual. It can go with absolutely everything in this capsule!  It's got some really nice design lines to it- I think I'd like to make one of these for myself.

I had another ponte in the violet/black combination, and decided to make a second Winter Street Dress from it.  I put in side seam pockets in both of the Winter Street Dresses.  That's one of the advantages to making things yourself.  You hardly ever see a ready to wear dress with pockets these days.
The scarf is a silk chiffon, that I bought a length of and made two scarves- I have one, and she has the other, so I know she can do this look!


I still have one more piece for this that I want to make and that's a full length coat.  But, I want to make sure that she'll wear one if I make it.  I have an idea of mixing some very dark purple wool coating, with a black and white houndstooth wool and some black leather.  Not sure how this is going to play out yet, but stay tuned!

 -Ann



Comments

  1. Wow. Wow. WOW!!!!!!!!!

    1) I hope you are feeling better.
    2) What a nice mom you are!!! I dream of DD asking me to do this for her - hahaha!

    I love every single piece. That Burda skirt is a must have. I think it's such a great silhouette. The dresses and tops and scarf and jacket...oh I love it ALL!

    And I have that lace print in green. I love how you used it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nakisha! She's a little uncertain about the skirt- but maybe when she tries it on, she'll like it. If not, I can always adjust it to fit me!

      Delete
  2. WOW - gorgeous garments! You're welcome to adopt me as a daughter any day! ;-) Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! I am feeling a little better today- still taking it easy though.

      Delete
  3. Your daughter should like all of these garments. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely wardrobe for your daughter. I really like the color palette and the style you chose for it. Two snaps up for a sewing, stylish mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forget to add.., Can you believe how cold it is in Chicago already?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Grey Cashmere Coat Simplicity 3672

For the past few months, Fabric Mart has had the most gorgeous array of Michael Kors Wool Blend Coatings that I have ever seen!  During COVID stay at home time, I've been letting my gray grow out, and I thought that even though some of the delicious sounding shades like apricot and apple green would be beautiful, the heathered gray shade would be the most flattering to my gray hair and the most versatile for a winter coat.  And it was one of the coatings that listed Cashmere as one of the fiber components, so I was curious as to how that would feel.