Then I went to my Burda magazines for inspiration, and came across this top and skirt set from the October issue. I made the top out of a chevron print rayon challis, and the skirt from a dove grey wool gabardine.
I liked that top so much, that I pulled another polyester crepe from my stash to make a second one. Both of these fabrics were "mystery bundle" fabrics from Fabric Mart.
I used the Winter Street Dress pattern from Patternreview.com. I did add some darts to give it a little more shaping so the waist would be a little more fitted.
This is a zip front sweatshirt pattern, but out of the houndstooth, I think it looks more business casual. It can go with absolutely everything in this capsule! It's got some really nice design lines to it- I think I'd like to make one of these for myself.
I had another ponte in the violet/black combination, and decided to make a second Winter Street Dress from it. I put in side seam pockets in both of the Winter Street Dresses. That's one of the advantages to making things yourself. You hardly ever see a ready to wear dress with pockets these days.
The scarf is a silk chiffon, that I bought a length of and made two scarves- I have one, and she has the other, so I know she can do this look!
I still have one more piece for this that I want to make and that's a full length coat. But, I want to make sure that she'll wear one if I make it. I have an idea of mixing some very dark purple wool coating, with a black and white houndstooth wool and some black leather. Not sure how this is going to play out yet, but stay tuned!