Sunday, April 20, 2014

McCall's 6889 Easy Spring Dress

After a looooong winter, with even snow just last week, Spring has finally sprung around here in Illinois! I wanted to make something quick and daffodilly like to get in the Spring mood. 

This dress is McCall's 6889- designed for knits. Here is the line drawing so you can see all of the different possibilities with this one. 

I recently purchased a pale yellow Supplex knit from Fabric Mart.  This is supposed to be for athletic wear, but it had a really nice drape, and I had 2 yards- just enough for View A of this dress.  I really would like to try View C as well with the interesting neckline.  There are lots of seams in this design, which make it ideal for a solid fabric. 

The pattern calls for a zipper, but that would be overkill.  It pulls over the head with ease, so I just left the zipper out.  It also calls for a facing- again- that would be more work for not a lot of payoff.  So, I just turned under the raw edge of the neckline and topstitched.

I only had enough fabric to make the shorter length, which should be fine for when the weather warms up.  I found that the dress as sewn was originally a little shapeless.  I went back in and made the seam allowances wider around the waist area to give it a slightly more fitted look.
I really think that just about anyone can wear this style.  It may just take some tweaking to get the fit that you'd like.  I like styling it with a jacket to break up the full length of one color.  The denim jacket also adds a little hard edge to an otherwise very soft feminine style. 

I highly recommend this one!  In fact, I'm looking at my stash right now to pick out another fabric for it. 

Happy Sewing!

Ann

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I like the fresh colour, it's perfect for spring indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute - I'll have the grab that pattern!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Sew, what's new? Patterns, Ann's projects and more!