Burda magazine always features a dirndl in their September issue, and the Burda pattern book had lots of styles to choose from- from sexy St. Pauli girl type outfits, to long covered up ones.
My daughter chose 8448, which is one of the more covered up ones. I used a black striped linen for the skirt, a pretty blue cotton for the apron, a black stretch corduroy for the bodice, and a lovely white batiste with little pink tufts of embroidery for the blouse.
I shortened the length of the apron pattern piece, so that it wouldn't be longer than the skirt. The pattern also called for some shirring on the apron, but I chose to just gather it instead. The top pattern was designed to hit just below the bust. I added 10 inches to it, to make it full length, so that she can wear it alone as a top, which she has been doing.
However, my daughter is very happy with her dirndl and has worn it to a couple of events already. I think she will get lots of years of use from it, so I'm happy with the results.