Skip to main content

Winter Wardrobe Sewing Plan


I think that my favorite part of sewing doesn't have anything to do with the actual sewing!  It's the PLANNING.  I could look at patterns and fabrics for hours and hours, imagining what to do with them.  It's pretty easy to spend more time daydreaming about what I can make than actually making it. Here is my latest sewing plan. 

The fabrics have been in my stash quite a while, so I am going to use the Patternreview.com Fabric Stash contest as an incentive to actually follow through with my plan.  It's only a month long contest, so I'm being rather ambitious- that would equal two garments a week, but I think that I can do it.
I bought some shoes and necklaces to go with these things too, so I really have committed myself to this!
The last time I followed through with a plan was about two years ago when I did another wardrobe contest.  It really helped me to expand my wardrobe, and I'm thinking it's about time to do it again- this time in more neutrals- black, cream and gold.

First up will be a pencil skirt made from this lovely black shetland wool:


I got this gold wool gabardine in a mystery bundle a few years ago, and really thought it was awful.  Now I can't wait to make a pair of wide legged trousers from it.  I think it will look fantastic with any of my solid cream or black tops.

I need a couple of new blouses.  I have two pieces of silk that have that pretty gold shade in it.
First is this lovely paisley chiffon:


Then this animal print silk charmeuse with a little turquoise in it too


Both of those tops should also go with the black pencil skirt, or another pair of pants from this fantastic cream stretch wool:

   
And to add a little layering interest, how about a vest in this metallic linen tweed:

 
I think I need a basic sheath dress in this black and cream stretch honeycomb wool:


And lastly, a coat or cape from this acrylic plaid boucle:


I haven't picked out the exact patterns yet, but can't wait to get started!  What do you think?  I'd love to hear your thoughts!


-Ann


Comments

  1. Your sewing plan sounds great. I think you always make very nice things. A good neutral collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it's my favorite part of sewing, too! And it's a great plan--love that paisley. I'm tempted to enter that contest but at my glacial sewing speed I know I won't win...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing your creations. The fabrics are wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking fabrics! Look forward to seeing the finished garments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm drooling! Those are beautiful fabrics and will result in some gorgeous additions to your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm inspired! Thank you! Can't wait to see the finished wardrobe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you looking for good quality and stylish ladies pants ! so please check this out this store has very affordable high quaity varriety of ladies pants.

    Womens Pants | Womens Sweatpants

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Grey Cashmere Coat Simplicity 3672

For the past few months, Fabric Mart has had the most gorgeous array of Michael Kors Wool Blend Coatings that I have ever seen!  During COVID stay at home time, I've been letting my gray grow out, and I thought that even though some of the delicious sounding shades like apricot and apple green would be beautiful, the heathered gray shade would be the most flattering to my gray hair and the most versatile for a winter coat.  And it was one of the coatings that listed Cashmere as one of the fiber components, so I was curious as to how that would feel.